PDA

View Full Version : Asus M2NPV-VM MB

jbkt23
11th October 2006, 11:37 PM
Has anyone used this MB yet. Does FC5 x86-64 work well with it.

jbk

JasonSiegel
24th October 2006, 09:27 PM
Downloading FC6 now and When i get home i will try it out and post the results.
just bought MB and sempron 64 2800+

jtang613
25th October 2006, 10:21 AM
I use this mobo. All my hardware works.

Caveats:
- nvidia driver + onboard video may require 'option "swcursor" ' in xorg.conf
- onboard sound may require "options snd-hda-intel index=0 position_fix=1 model=3stack' in modprobe.conf
- bios upgrade may break kernel (use stock bios for now)

Otherwise, no major complaints.

Jason

jbkt23
25th October 2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks, you didn't get any sleep last night. :) I started downloading last night. Is it true that there is now only one repository that supports all platfforms, i386, x86_64 and ppc? If not I couldn't find the x86_64.

Jim

JasonSiegel
25th October 2006, 03:25 PM
Actually just finished downloading this AM. Curious what bios version and kenel version you are running? My board came with the 405 bios and it wont boot unless i pass ACPI=off. Are you having better luck with the 303 bios? should i disable ACPI in the bios? do you reccomend a bios downgrade?

thanks
-Jason

jtang613
25th October 2006, 07:02 PM
I use the 303 bios. No issues with acpi.

You might want to try it, but make sure to backup your current bios.

Jason

Fuzzy2
26th October 2006, 11:32 AM
I am also have Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and can't install FC-6-x86_64-DVD.iso. I just try to boot from DVD and it hangs during boot at following lines:

io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler anticipatory registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered (default)

Behaviour is described in bugreport 212172 (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=212172).
I don't remember exactly my version of BIOS, so I'll write it later.

jtang613
26th October 2006, 11:53 AM
I am also have Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and can't install FC-6-x86_64-DVD.iso. I just try to boot from DVD and it hangs during boot at following lines:

io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler anticipatory registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered (default)

Behaviour is described in bugreport 212172 (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=212172).
I don't remember exactly my version of BIOS, so I'll write it later.
This IS the BIOS issue described above. Passing the boot parameter 'acpi=off' should let you boot. Otherwise, downgrade to BIOS v.0303

Jason

jaripetteri
26th October 2006, 12:53 PM
I have Asus P1-AH2 Pundit barebone which has it's own mobo. Similar as M2NPV-VM but still not exactly the same and I have the same BIOS issue here. BUT there are no 0303 available only 0203 and I think I'm already using it. So what to do with this?!? I don't dare to try M2NPV-VM's BIOS on this one, right?!? :rolleyes:

Fuzzy2
26th October 2006, 01:50 PM
Does anybody try FC6 with latest BIOS 0504 for M2NPV-VM? (Does this BIOS have the same issue?)
(BIOS are located at: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2NPV-VM/0504.zip)

Kendy
26th October 2006, 05:06 PM
Does anybody try FC6 with latest BIOS 0504 for M2NPV-VM? (Does this BIOS have the same issue?)
(BIOS are located at: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2NPV-VM/0504.zip)
I just flashed my BIOS with 0504 and it cleared up the problem. Thanks for letting us know about the new BIOS, as I checked last night and the latest one was 0405. Had the same problem with 0303 too.

Fuzzy2
27th October 2006, 08:35 AM
I flashed my M2NPV-VM with BIOS 0504 too. It works! FC-6-x86_64-DVD was started successfully and now I am installing it on another PC.
I had BIOS 0303 before and installation had failed at very beginning.

remi
11th November 2006, 05:12 PM
Thank's jtang613

I've just by this MB.
All is perfect with BIOS 0504 and the options for the soundcard.

Regards

P.S. of course : FC6 / x86_64

umbe
20th November 2006, 09:23 PM
I've got an ASUS Pundit P1-AH2 and ran into the same problem when trying to install the os. Specifying "linux text acpi=off" at the boot prompt fixed it as noted in above recommendation. Unfortunately there are no BIOS upgrades available for the P1-AH2 yet, so I'm stuck with the broken 0203 bios.

umbe
20th November 2006, 09:31 PM
jeripetteri, I tried to use the 0504 but it gives you an error saying the ROM types don't match. A follow up on my last note, seems the acpi=off is getting me further, but now it hangs at the "CD Found: To begin testing the CD media before installation press OK." But at this point there is no response to the keyboard. Does anyone know if this is just a FC6 issue or do you think it'll go away with an earlier version of LINUX?

jaripetteri
20th November 2006, 10:13 PM
I have currently FC5 installed on my pundit and it's stabile though sometimes it also lost keyboard or mouse. acpi=off also needed there. if you want FC6 you could try netboot?

umbe
21st November 2006, 12:54 AM
I'm using a USB mouse/keyboard, you too? Thanks for the tip, I'm downloading the FC5 DVD, will give that a go. Will also send a complaint to ASUS. Very annoying that they patched the same bug in the BIOS code for other mobos but ignored our M2N8L.

jaripetteri
21st November 2006, 06:50 AM
yep USB keyboard with "joystick" mouse. maybe I should sent a word to Asus also...

Didn't manage to get onboard spdif to work either. and becouse that spdif plug is on front I get terratec pci soundcard which run nicely.

jmlacroix
21st November 2006, 08:53 PM
I also have the m2npv-vm motherboard, and I had no problem installing FC6, but not the 64 bit version: the plain i386 version. No hang in isntallation. The BIOS I had on the mobo was the 0303. The only problem I had was the missing cursor: I had to set up the option of SWcursor in xorg.conf for the cursor to work.

I upgraded the BIOS to 0504 without any problem: I still need the SWcursor option.

I have not tried the i386_64 version of FC6 (I do not need the 64 bit version for my purpose).

I nice thing about the mobo and FC6: FC6 support the RAID configured by the chipset on the mobo. I have 2 SATA drives configured in RAID-1, and the installation went without a problem, and everythings run fine.

As for the sound: I do not know, since I want to use the system as a server, therefore I do not have speakers on it!

crataegus
29th November 2006, 07:09 PM
I also use this motherboard an am quite satisfied with this nice hardware. But I have installed 2 DVD-Drives on the second IDE-Channel, master-slave correctly adjusted. The DVD+-RW (master) and DVD-Rom (slave) are not able to mount Video- or Data-DVDs. CDs are mounted correctly and what is absolutely curious: I'm able to burn DVDs (video or data) with nautilus or k3b ...only reading is not possible because the system simply doesn't want to mount them. But yes, they are burnt without errors, readable on other systems. Also bought original DVDs cannot be mounted.

What's this all about?

idcerberus
2nd December 2006, 09:47 AM
Just installed FC6 x86_64 on a Asus M2NPV-VM and the network is doing something weird. I had no problems with the install but I cannot get to the internet on it - so no updates. The IP is all good, it can resolve web addresses to IP too but I cannot browse any websites. Do I need to change the network driver or can i use the one the installer selected? I read some stuff about loading the Nvidia lan driver but when i tried installing it said it could not compile - unfortunately I am very new to linux so I am unsure what to try next ... any suggestions?

crataegus
2nd December 2006, 12:34 PM
Hi idcerberus,
no you do not need to install any different drivers for lan. The board-included nvidia-lan works out-of-the-box with fedora. Just run system-config-network as root and check all settings. If you still cannot get any connections, then delete everything in system-config-network. On the next boot fedora will identify the lan-chip again and set default values.

devzero
2nd December 2006, 05:20 PM
I also am using this board.

At first it needed noapic arg to kernel to install x86_64.
With the latest kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 all my troubles are gone.
cat /proc/cmdline
ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

I did also need the swcursor for X.

idcerberus
3rd December 2006, 12:17 AM
thanks for your reply crataegus
I tried your suggestion & it is working! many thanks!!

psyklops
3rd December 2006, 02:06 PM
i just picked up this motherboard recently and will by trialing it with MythTV under Fedora sometime soon. I'll be running i386 version of FC6 on it...just need time to set it up.

smittty
5th December 2006, 01:42 AM
I have had this MB since late October. I initially installed Ubuntu 6.06 the nupgraded to 6.10. What a mistake that was. I then installed FC6. The issue with ACPI and some something about the clock was a BIOS issue solved by upgrading to the 0504 BIOS. For video drivers I just added the rpm.livna.org repository and I get the Nvidia drivers from there. In my xorg.conf I have "HWCursor" "off" under the Device section. The only remaining hardware issue I'm having is with sound. With the drivers that come with FC6 I had a high pitch noice coming out of the left speaker and regular sound coming out of the right. Whenever I would change the volume using the mixer while listening to something the sound would cease and I would have to reboot. I solved both of those issue by upgrading to ALSA snapshot drivers available here: http://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/alsa/snapshot/driver/alsa-driver-hg20061205.tar.bz2. Now my only outstanding issue is with the microphone. I'm hoping that will be addressed with the the upcoming alsa-drivers 1.0.14.

devzero
5th December 2006, 05:15 PM
i just picked up this motherboard recently and will by trialing it with MythTV under Fedora sometime soon. I'll be running i386 version of FC6 on it...just need time to set it up.

Just happened to see this today:
http://www.linuxtechtoys.com/ltt/product_info.php/products_id/197
Its basically a preconfigured mythtv box using this motherboard.

crataegus
5th December 2006, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=smittty]
[...] The only remaining hardware issue I'm having is with sound. [...]

You can solve all sound problems by adding "options snd-hda-intel index=0 position_fix=1 model=3stack' in modprobe.conf. Found this somewhere in the www ...don't remember, but it just works great. Btw: I added the digital sound-bracket (spdif coax and optical) and also this works just fine now.

smittty
7th December 2006, 04:58 AM
I tried those options but a quick test of the mic didn't net any sound.

devzero
9th December 2006, 05:23 PM
Rev 603.
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2NPV-VM/0603.zip

Cheshire Mark
1st January 2007, 11:50 PM
Had the same issue with requiring swcursor in xorg.conf. Also installed the livna nvidia drivers, even with 'swcursor' or 'hwcursor' 'off' I can't run the desktop effects without the cursor being intermittent and showing white blocks underneath it. Works great with desktop effects off. Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. Tried both bios rev 0303 and 0603 with no change.

psyklops
2nd January 2007, 01:07 PM
Anyone running the DVI connection to a Hi Def display? I tried running DVI to my Sony 46" Bravia TV via DVI->HDMI cable and no video. VGA port is fine. Apparently this is a common issue involving some soldering by the looks of it or another video card!:
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t17288.html

I swapped video cards and up she came... kinda defeats the purpose of having it all on-board.

Current issue at the moment with FC6 USB devices on this motherboard. There seems to be some issues with the way the USB devices are assigned. This results in, the TV card being detected once and then after a reboot is never detected again until the PC is shut-down (i.e powered off). I get a lot of "USB device descriptor error/64" during boot and only intermittent works. Even Windows BSOD's intermittently.

I don't get any mouse/keyboard (USB via infrared) unless i have "irqpoll" in the boot string.

So all in all it's a little bit disappointing, especially as this is a home theatre PC designed motherboard so something as getting the DVI connectors goind is fundamental. The USB issues are of a concern since most remote's are driven off USB, alot of TV tuner cards are USB based and then there's wireless keyboards and mice...

I have yet to load 0603 BIOS so that hopefully is it's saving grace...

psyklops
15th January 2007, 09:12 PM
Quick update.

I have Windows Media Centre running on one hard drive and FC6 with MythTV running on the other drive.

I've got the system working for now using 'irqpoll' in the boot string.
The WD3200K western digital SATA 320GB drive I have doesn't support command queuing whereas Windows thinks it does, so random blue screens was the order of the day until that was turned off.

The second Seagate 320GB SATA drive has FC6 and MythTV and no issues I can see with regards to that (I think the kernel picks up both drives and their characteristics correctly).

The biggest challenge is kernel support for the dual tuner Hauppague Nova-T 500 digital TV tuner card. It runs a dibcom chipset and uses a PCI to USB bridge onboard. the Current crop of 2.6.18 kernels don't support it although there are a few cases of it working, but it only intermittently works. Apparently the 2.6.19 series kernel will have native support for the chipset manufacturuer. In addition to that and I think it's part of the same problem, is the USB resource allocation and conflict resolution in the current kernel isn't as robust as it should be. Thinks tend to work or break and rebooting usually helps.

psyklops
19th January 2007, 12:08 PM
Quick update. The recently released kernel 2.6.19 solved all the issues in one fell swoop. I sort of new this was the main issue as there was limited support from the kernel and the nforce 430 chipset which this mobo uses.

Also, the new kernel package supports the Hauppague Nova-T 500 card nativley - beautiful.

The USB reconnect issues are gone - i will try some more tests to confirm.

All devices were detected and are working.

I could remove the 'irqpoll' from the boot string and not lose my keyboard and mouse (wireless) :)

The MCE remote control works also in MythTV.

gspooner
23rd January 2007, 08:11 AM
I have ASus M2NPV-VM
BIOS 0405
FC6 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
Everything installs and boots except...
No LAN or audio
video does not recognize 1920x1200

I installed nvidia video driver and still no 1920x1200 mode available in setup. Forced monitor to be 1920x1200 but card will not drive it.

I could not get the ASUS drivers for linux to install.
From reading post here it appears that FC6 should have native support for nvidia chipset.

Any ideas where to start first?

Cheshire Mark
23rd January 2007, 11:00 PM
According NVidia's website the 6150 chipset is supposed to support up to a max resolution of 1920x1440@75Hz. So that knocks my initial thought that maybe your resolution was beyond the capability of the video chipset. No other ideas though :(

http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpumobo_6150-430_features.html

landoncz
23rd January 2007, 11:23 PM
Hey, may be a dumb question, but how are you guys flashing your BIOS under Linux? I am going to get this MOBO, but wasn't going to order a floppy drive or put Windows on it, is there another way to flash the BIOS without a floppy and/or Windows? Thanks!

jtang613
23rd January 2007, 11:34 PM
All my hardware worked fine with this mobo. No resolustion probs or anything. No undetected hardware. no nforce drivers is the key Just a few tweaks here and there.

landoncz: the bios has its own bios update utility. Just put the bios.bin file on a dos partition or usb stick and you can update the bios... from the bios.

m2c,
JT

landoncz
24th January 2007, 12:04 AM
landoncz: the bios has its own bios update utility. Just put the bios.bin file on a dos partition or usb stick and you can update the bios... from the bios.

m2c,
JT

That is great news! Thank you very much!

gspooner
24th January 2007, 12:57 AM
All my hardware worked fine with this mobo. No resolustion probs or anything. No undetected hardware. no nforce drivers is the key Just a few tweaks here and there.

m2c,
JT
What BIOS version when you installed FC6 on Asus M2NPV-VM board?

gspooner
24th January 2007, 09:23 PM
What BIOS version when you installed FC6 on Asus M2NPV-VM board?
Upgrading the BIOS to 0603 and reinstall solved network and audio issues.
Still have problem with video. It looks like the monitor scan is failing.
It does not detect my Dell flat screen monitors. I think that is why it refuses to use high res settings.

For the post above use the BIOS alt-F2 method with usb bios file. This is not well documented on Asus site but by
far the easiest method to flash the BIOS. Well done.

Hilton Head Island - Damascus Photos - Aguas de Lindoia Photos on Instagram