FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   Using Fedora (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   fedora 8 & pulse audio - nonroot users have no sound (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171083)

aniketv 11th November 2007 09:57 PM

Well, there is still another trick I found ...
Keep the alsa-pulseaudio plugin , and edit your asound.conf to make it as ..

Quote:

#Generated by system-config-soundcard
#If you edit this file, don't run system-config-soundcard,
#all your changes here could be lost.
#SWCONF
#DEV 0
defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}
By doing this, skype gets access to sound card directly , and other apps using pulse(thru alsa plugin) will be blocked when you are using skype and vice versa.
Then , when you want to use skype , just stop all other apps using sound, skype will work. After your call, exit skype and all other apps will live happily with pulseaudio and te "ear candy" !! lol

Apparently , I believe the problem is due to insufficient buffering in pulseaudio , as when I use "pulse" as pcm device in skype, I hear sound for a split second and then skype is silent and all other apps using pulse-alsa keep work as normal.

This tradeoff is the best possible solution I found currently , as it lets you have skype sound although exclisively , and all other apps run as intended with pulse when skype ( the friendly villian!!) is not present.

bharat211 11th November 2007 11:28 PM

Hi,

I've been having problems similar to the ones discussed here. I removed the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and my audio disc, xine, mplayer, works. But firefox is still unable to play the sound. In fact, my firefox crashes every time I open up you tube or something that plays audio.

So, I decided to try the other method of editing the asound.conf file and keeping alsa plugin. Doing that (and rebooting) leads me back to square one with no sound on any of my programs including audio disc, xine, and mplayer which were working fine without the alsa plugins.

Now I'm wondering whether one can completely remove pulse audio from the system and work with the basic alsa drivers for the entire system? Is there a way to remove pulse audio completely from the system?

aniketv 11th November 2007 11:44 PM

what error message you got in kaffeine or mplayer, when you made the config like I showed above.?
I believe its just a small config issue . .

bharat211 11th November 2007 11:51 PM

there is no error message, just no sound. Currently, I've reverted back to my former state of sound configuration with alsa plugin removed.

ggulik 12th November 2007 01:46 AM

I don't believe I saw this mentioned but for me at least the sound seems to be related to utilities that are trying to use the ALSA emulation in Pulse audio.

A couple apps I tried that I was able to switch to OSS are working fine but don't work when I turn them back to ALSA. So in the meantime XMMS and RealPlayer will use OSS until a solution for this issue is found.

aniketv 12th November 2007 04:36 AM

I have xmms , amarok ,mplayer ,arts and linphone working fine with alsa emulation. I did a lot of tweaking and fiddling around, and finally found out why sound wasnt working,...The reason is that pulseaudio daemon doesnt load on login , due to some problems with the way Fedora 8 is initially configured when it is installed. To fix that, the following commands as root did the trick, as someone had mentioned earlier in the thread...
rm -fr /tmp/
mkdir /tmp
chmod a+rw /tmp

The logout and log back in , and all apps using alsa "properly" were working. So badly coded apps like skype, wengophone, gizmoproject and sadly even ekiga are not working ( all voip!! ). So I am left with linphone . .

Second issue was that system-config-soundcard somehow enabled snd-usb-audio driver on my system instead of snd-hda-intel .. so I had to edit modprobe.conf to fix that and pass corrent parameters for snd-hda-intel .

piotreek 12th November 2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketv
Well, there is still another trick I found ...
Keep the alsa-pulseaudio plugin , and edit your asound.conf to make it as ..

By doing this, skype gets access to sound card directly , and other apps using pulse(thru alsa plugin) will be blocked when you are using skype and vice versa.
Then , when you want to use skype , just stop all other apps using sound, skype will work. After your call, exit skype and all other apps will live happily with pulseaudio and te "ear candy" !! lol

Apparently , I believe the problem is due to insufficient buffering in pulseaudio , as when I use "pulse" as pcm device in skype, I hear sound for a split second and then skype is silent and all other apps using pulse-alsa keep work as normal.

This tradeoff is the best possible solution I found currently , as it lets you have skype sound although exclisively , and all other apps run as intended with pulse when skype ( the friendly villian!!) is not present.

This is not an resolution ;) i feel like back to time when Skype was supporting OSS only.
I just removed the Pulse Candy Alsa Plugin. Even without it i can have one call in skype and listen music from Youtube :) and all devices and aplications are happy :). I tried to set up sound devices in skype.with pulse enabled The best result i get is that i can hear sound only i left speker. And thats is a little bit strange? I dont now mayby my Nforce 2 is too old and slow for Pulse Audio :D ;-). I also tried Pulse Audio Wiki with pulsesusped but it only hang up skype with sound playback problem :/
Cheers
Peter.

aniketv 12th November 2007 09:18 PM

Yes , i know its a bad solution. Its just that if you want both pulse and skype working, then..else removing pulse altogether is a good solution too.

EDIT: I installed skype 1.3 (wich used OSS ) and changed sound system to OSS in gizmoproject, and then invoked them with "padsp skype" and "pasdp gizmo" , and sound worked , but its was soo choppy its almost useless!!

So currently if you need voip, best solution is to disable alsa-pulse integration and use alsa straightaway!
Else my trick is there ! :)

I tried skype 2.0 with"pasuspender skype". It says "problem with audio capture" .
I tried skype 1.4, it works but sound only from left side speaker!!
Any help on this one? I have Intel High Definition Audio with sigmatel 9228 codec.

piotreek 12th November 2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketv

I tried with "pasuspender skype". It says "problem with audio capture" . Any help on this one?

Yep the same for me. :/

bharat211 13th November 2007 02:01 AM

success!

Hi all,

After a few attempts, I've managed to make pulse audio work for me in its entirety from all my apps to firefox and youtube. I believe someone else was also in my position in an earlier post. Here is my diagnosis and treatment of the problem.

1. I enabled alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and made sure it was installed properly
2. I made sure I was using all pulseaudio server in the System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound
3. I made sure I had installed pavucontrol (pulse audio volume control), pavumeter (pulse audio volume meter), paman (pulse audio manager), padevchooser (pulse audio device chooser), and paprefs (pulse audio preferences) as indicated in the pulse audio perfect setup page
4. I edited my ~/.asoundrc file to include the following
Code:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

After doing the above. I rebooted my computer only to my dismay that my sound still doesn't work on any apps. While I was playing a video on xine I checked my pulse audio manager (paman command) to see what was really going on. I found the following:

a. I have two sound cards on my machine. The one that is built into my motherboard something called intel something or other. And the other is my own sound blaster card. My system has them registered as device numbers 1 and 0 respectively. But apparently pulse audio was using my intel sound device as default for no good reason when I have setup my system to use the sound blaster card as default in my soundcard detection.

b. To fix this, I switched the order of my devices in my System->Administration->Soundcard Detection->Settings->Audio card order. Saved my settings and rebooted.

Results: I now have sound on all apps including system sounds, xine, audio cd (kaffiene), and youtube.

I hope this helps someone.

RedFedora 13th November 2007 02:11 AM

I had installed Fedora 8 from the KDE liveCD and I tried everything on this thread with no success.
Tonight I installed the Gnome desktop and found that I can use the gnome sound manager to
get sound working. The catch is, sound works only in Gnome. I still can't play sound in KDE,
except the test sound in the Control Panel.

Is there a similar tool in KDE to the sound-manager to make sound work?

Update: In gnome my music player and video players work, but my browser is still without sound.

strikeforce 13th November 2007 02:16 AM

Red there is a thread specifically about that somewhere. If your issue is flash and depending onw hat you installed whether x86_64 or x86 you need to install an additional package to update firefox.

Do a search sadly I don't have the link handy.

RedFedora 13th November 2007 04:10 PM

I found the tool kde-settings-pulseaudio, but I'm still sound-less in KDE.
I also installed the libflashsupport package.

Gnome gives me sound in a few apps, but not in browsers.

moocha 13th November 2007 08:12 PM

I got hit by this issue all of a sudden after upgrading the kernel from 2.6.23-42 to 2.6.23-49. After a bit of digging around and reading this thread (thanks to everybody who contributed), it turned out to be avahi-daemon (it was correctly configured to start in runlevels 3, 4, and 5, but it had mysteriously died). After starting it, logging out of X and back in, sound started playing again - no need to mess with permissions.
Still don't know why avahi-daemon died. I'll try to figure out the actual underlying causes and report back when I know more.

Xenofex 14th November 2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Pulse Audio Potential Issues

* A number of people are having issues with Pulse Audio mainly due to people removing programs from booting up
* Make sure if you have multiple sound-cards that the correct sound card is used. To do this look at the following menu.

System -> Administration -> Soundcard Detection

* Go to the settings tab and rearrange your sound cards to suit your situation.

* Make sure Console-Kit and avahi-daemon is enabled on startup to do this go to the following menu and tick and start the following programs.

System -> Administration -> Services Tick ConsoleKit Tick avahi-daemon

* If you are still having issues try and do the following.
Code:

yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

To summerize:
These are copied from the site Fedora Guide, which appears in Strikeforce's signature. I think that most problems can be solved via these ways.
Moreover, pulseaudio-esound-compat is for the pulseaudio to run as a daemon.
If you find root is okay but regular users aren't, it's probably that the daemon ConsoleKit is disabled. This is already mentioned above in the quoted text.