FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   Using Fedora (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fedora 8, Pulse Audio, 2 Audio Cards (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=173789)

Alex Lang 28th November 2007 03:24 PM

Fedora 8, Pulse Audio, 2 Audio Cards

I have a fresh install of Fedora 8. Audio was giving me fits. I've narrow down what I think the issue is and am requesting suggestions on how to resolve.

I have an AMD64 system with motherboard audio that I don't use. It is disabled in the BIOS. I have a SB Live! PCI card that is my primary audio. I have two issues:

1. PulseAudio insists on making the VIA_82XX device (the onboard device) the default audio device. I'll go into the Pulse Mixer and change the default but it doesn't persist across logins. Is there a way to make Pulse remember my choices and configurations from previous sessions.

2. It seems real odd to me that Pulse is using the via-82xx.so driver even when the motherboard audio is disabled. Since I'm just using the kernels from the distro, I finally just went in a deleted the via-82xx.so driver from /lib/modules, but that seems an unreasonable solution. It would seem to me that Pulse and the via-82xx driver should honor the fact that I've disabled the onboard audio from the bios and not even show it in the Pulse choices.

Note that I have gone into Admininistration->Sound Card Detection and made the SB Live! the primary audio card. Pulse still insisted that the VIA onboard audio was the default audio until I deleted the drivers.

Thanks,
Alex

sloik 2nd December 2007 06:20 AM

I'm having the same issue.

If anyone has a solution, please let me know. I've tried editing the pulseaudio file manually to no avail. I'm tired of my audio defaulting to my speakers instead of my headphones!

FriedChips 2nd December 2007 06:34 AM

try:
Code:

su
echo "blacklist via-82xx" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

of course that assumes that you have the same onboard as the OP

Hope that helps :)

sloik 2nd December 2007 09:32 PM

Well I still want the onboard audio enabled, I just don't want it set as the default.

I have my speakers hooked up to the onboard audio device, and my headphones hooked up to the Sound Blaster Audigy 2. I'd like my headphones to be set as the default device so I don't have error sounds blaring from my speakers at 12:00 AM :P

Thanks!

Edit:
This seems to be what I need. Has this been implemented yet? How can I get this working?

alarm9k 22nd January 2008 07:38 AM

I don't know how to make it default (I also have 2 sound cards) but I do know how to make it remember it's settings between reboots/logins. Pulseaudio daemon won't save it's settings to ~/.pulse if just killed when exiting your login session. It will only save if you kill the daemon with pulseaudio -k command. So I had to add a 1-line script (/usr/bin/pulseaudio -k) to /etc/kde/shutdown directory. Now it works.

p.s. ok, not exactly 1-line:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/pulseaudio -k

sloik 24th January 2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alarm9k
I don't know how to make it default (I also have 2 sound cards) but I do know how to make it remember it's settings between reboots/logins....

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!