Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th April 2006, 06:49 PM
kha Offline

add 3rd hard drive changes device names in fdisk

I have 2 HD's right now: sda(linux installation, mbr) and sdb(storage): linux only, no MS windows.

I'm trying to add a 3rd HD just for storage, but doing fdisk -l, the new HD is now sda. the HD with linux installatin becomes sdb, and the storage HD is sdc.

bios is set to boot the linux installation HD first. what, if anything, am i doing wrong?
Old 25th April 2006, 07:59 PM
Finalzone Online
Community Manager

How did you plug the third HD? I think you need to properly set the HD to either secondary master/slave. Read the manual provided by HD manufacturer.
Old 25th April 2006, 08:03 PM
steve1961 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalzone
How did you plug the third HD? I think you need to properly set the HD to either secondary master/slave. Read the manual provided by HD manufacturer.

Looks like they're sata disks if they're named sda, sdb and so on. In which case no master/slave settings are necessary. Is the first hard drive plugged into the first sata port, the second in the second and the extra in the third? If not this might explain why this is happening.
Old 25th April 2006, 08:15 PM
kha Offline

they are indeed serial ATA, and do not require jumpers. it is an intel d101ggc motherboard with 4 SATA ports, labeled 0 through 3, and the three HD's are attached and set to boot in that order.
Old 25th April 2006, 08:24 PM
steve1961 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha
they are indeed serial ATA, and do not require jumpers. it is an intel d101ggc motherboard with 4 SATA ports, labeled 0 through 3, and the three HD's are attached and set to boot in that order.

Weird! In that case I'm afraid I have no idea what's going on. When I added my third drive it just showed up as sdc. Anybody else have any ideas?

Tags
3rd, add, device, drive, fdisk, hard, names