Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th June 2006, 12:55 AM
Malice Mythic Offline

next batch of questions

ok, im getting a little bit better at this every day, thanks to helpful info from many people i figured out i had to "startx" now ive learned alot and next on my list to learn is how to play .mp3 .mp4 and a few other media types, right now im downloading realplayer 10 to my psp then booting up my linux pc and ill move the .bin to my home folder and that will cure most the media files, all but .mp4 which ill tackel later... now i scavenged my old game discs and found D&D dragonshard, and a pc gamer disk... i found WINE and tryed it... very confuzing... couldnt figure it out... so now i ask.... how do i run a .exe in fc5... and will most video games/installers work like this.. if so then divx windows version will knock out the need for a .mp4 thingy
Old 29th June 2006, 03:02 AM
schwim Offline

Hi there Mr. Malice,

Please take this as only the most constructive of criticism: Try to take some time to fully form your posts before releasing them into the wild. During that single paragraph, I know I read about Wine, exe's, games, D&D, divx mp4, mp3, psp and a few others, however I didn't understand most of what you were trying to ask.

For what I did understand: ()

Wine handles all of your .exe needs. When I installed wine, I simply double-clicked the file, and Wine knew to do something with it. Is this what you were asking?

Games: Anything intended to be run as a Windows executable is handled through Wine(or a comparable Win "emulator").

I'm not sure about the final part of your post. Were you asking how to run DivX? it's a codec, so it's installed for your media player to use, You don't run the codec itself. If you mean running a divx player, I would suggest you find a media alternative if you can(MPlayer), as running apps through Wine has always been buggy for me at best. At worst, they didn't work at all.

I hope this helped some. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, but we can help you a lot better if we can understand what it is exactly that you're asking

thanks,
json

performing amazing acts of mediocrity since 1974.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FC 7(32 bit)/Gnome
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia 6800 GT
1 Gig ram
Old 29th June 2006, 03:16 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I don't bother with Wine much myself, but I would check out the FAQ here: http://www.winehq.com/ where at least one of your questions seems to be answered under 5.8
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Tags
batch, questions