Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th January 2007, 12:14 AM
SlowJet Offline

What's the Linux equivalent of

Buildworld or make world
for
RHLE 5 sources?

i.e. CentOS 5

Is this possible without patches and special compiler options?

SJ
Old 25th January 2007, 08:49 AM
markkuk Offline

"make world" will work in Linux if you have a Makefile that defines the target "world". What are you actually trying to do?
Old 25th January 2007, 08:12 PM
SlowJet Offline

My intention was to do a compile and link and build the rpm's of a particular so called production release (of RHEL).
Use the rpm's to install and thereby have a more stable Linux with the leading edge software.

But after reading the fine print on the web pages of Redhat-Fedora, Sun-Opensolaris, Novell-OpenSuSe,
and Ubuntu-Debian and
reading several blog posts about the proprietary binaries in each system and claims by one corporation about another's proprietary binary state and
searrching in vain for the simple How-TO at each site (all 8) for a make world concept,
that creates the production release binaries exactly as the company does,

I can only conclude that there is no way to do that (not even one source at a time) and
that they are all proprietary binaries and
as corporations go, are pathological and hence lie when the lies are part of the business plan and /or
used in a marketing effort to assure customers that they are the best or
used to debunk the competition's statements or actions.

I also believe they are all in violation of the GPL and on the edge of conspiracy to defraud the public.

So nothing new under the Sun. Corporations were created to avoid being responsible in any moral or ethical sense, and to detach from human conditions and the reality of life and death, pain and suffering, and social growth for the betterment of life on planet earth.

I should have known better than to belief yet another scam.

SJ

Last edited by SlowJet; 26th January 2007 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 25th January 2007, 10:35 PM
Janl Offline

Mind to translate that into English?
Old 25th January 2007, 11:47 PM
AlexThomson_NZ Offline

I read, and re-read your comment. Still can't figure it out- I gathered you were talking something about the RedHat/Ubuntu squabbles going on about proprietary bundles(?) You might want to take a deep breath and try to clarify what you are trying to get across.
Old 26th January 2007, 03:53 AM
SlowJet Offline

I corrected some spelling.
The bottom line is that the bianaries of the parrent companies of the test beds can not be reproduced without knowning all the compile time methods used by them, and orther parameters used and / or added or subtracted propriatory patches not in the source code.

This is already well known about Novelle and Sun.

SJ

Last edited by SlowJet; 26th January 2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 26th January 2007, 05:33 AM
brunson Offline

"make world" was an X windows thing. I don't know any unix that you could build from scratch by going to a directory and typing "make world".

You're ranting and scaring me...
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy

Tags
equivalent, linux