Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th March 2007, 04:55 PM
Dingy Offline

Promise Supertrak 8350 Drivers for FC5

I was wondering if anyone else with a similar configuration could possibly provide any hints or insight for compiling the drivers for their Promise Supertrak 8350 card (or for getting it to work correctly for that matter!)....

I have resently been fighting with my new server and attempting to get everything to play nice with FC5 and the Promise Supertrak 8350 controller.

During my first install I found that the system boot hung (and died) when starting udev.
I removed the raid card, reinstalled FC5 and patched to the latest and greatest revs (I believe my current x86_64 kernel is kernel-2.6.19-1.2288.2.4.fc5). At this point everything works (the Promise card is still removed from the server) and there are no error messages.

I installed the kernel source & headers and development tools so that I could compile the drivers from the Promise source code (2.9.0.16) that I downloaded from the Promise website.

I compiled the kernel and then tried to compile the Promise drivers using the directions provided by the Promise readme (yes, I'm using their Makefile.linux). The Makefile does not work - it seems to think that I have a 2.4 kernel installed. I have checked the Makefile and found that a portion of the logic that is used to determine the version seems to be incorrect. It has been quite a while since I have had to pick apart a Makefile, so I'm a bit at the ends of my wits right now...

I have been working on this for the past few days and may have missed something. If anyone has any experience compiling this driver could you possibly provide any hints?

TIA!

Tags
8350, drivers, fc5, promise, supertrak