Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th May 2008, 08:25 AM
loops84 Offline

Xserver and Nvidia update problem

I just installed fedora 8 in VMware. My computer is running Vista home premium addition. I did a yum update tool like 2 hours or so, then I proceeded to install the Livna Nvidia driver. Everything installed ok, but then I rebooted the system and now I get an xserver failed to load error. I try to configure but still it cannot load xserver. What went wrong and how do I fix this. I am new to linux like a lot of people are and I feel like I want to use something different than windows. I tried to get this going in an VM setting but failed. I also tried in a real partition but the install would never let me install the nvidia drivers. something always went wrong. Ubuntu had the same problem. I was able to get it going but the flash video and installing bittorrent were making me crazy. someone please help me out.
Old 9th May 2008, 09:47 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

We just went through something very similar in another thread - it sounds very similar to me anyway. See if anything here helps: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=187809

If you have other questions or need help with finding stuff, or continue to have problems/can't solve with that info, just post back with your hardware specs and some output from your logfiles.

Regards,
V
Old 10th May 2008, 06:46 AM
loops84 Offline

I figured it out. It was because the xorg file was pointing to livna nvidia driver and I needed it to point to the vmware plugin or something like that. Now it works pretty good. I noticed that fedora 8 runs flash a little better than Ubuntu, is this true? Also is installing fedora 8 with flash, java, mplayer, mp3 encoding and all that good stuff easier when installed on an actual partition?

Tags
nvidia, problem, update, xserver