Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2008, 09:35 PM
applejaxkz Offline

Debating on coming back to linux

I have used Linux in the past and loved it. Even when things didn't go completely my way I loved figuring it out and seeing the end result. Lately I have switched from PC to Mac and I love it as well. Everything just works.

Currently I am running Leopard and if anyone here has used it knows that there isn't really that much that can be customized. Tiger was much better in that sense but I don't want to downgrade because I don't want to lose "Spaces" which is just a multiple desktop feature.

I've used Suse from 9.1 and I love it to death. Lately at school I have a Web Server class and we're using Fedora Core 6 or 7 I forgot. It's pretty nice I will say myself. I even tried Fedora Core 4 on my Macbook using Parallels. It ran flawlessly out of box which I loved. I have had a long history of Linux not liking my wireless cards. =/ But luckily it picked it up and everything ran smoothly.

Now here comes the questions. I use the Mac application "iCal" religiously. Is there any Linux equivalent? I haven't used linux in about a year or two, besides the basic labs at school. I'm going to keep a small Mac partition so I can keep all of my CS3 applications. I also use different applications on the Mac side for taking notes in class. Is there a nice "Notebook" like application for linux?

My main reason for wanting to switch back is the customizable aspect. Everything could be tweaked. Mac is extremely stable and I love it to death, especially since it has a Unix structure. But there is only so much you can do, customizing wise. I am a huge GUI tweaking geek and can spend hours, too many, just doing so.

And lastly, I'd like to know what some of your favorite features of Fedora Core 9 are. Thanks very much for reading my little essay. Any help or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:27 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Well, my first suggestion would be to start with F8, rather than F9. F8 is half way through its life cycle now, and is very stable, and more likely to customize easily without having an update break something.

Bluntly, my favorite feature of F9, is that F8 ... is still available.
Old 2nd July 2008, 04:20 PM
LDC Offline

sorry for the little hijack, but may I ask if I am the only one to find F9 ___by far___ much more solid than F8? and I have an old pc... over one month running night and day and reboot only for upgrades, not even a single crash, problem of sort, even after upgrading (I did ALL the suggested upgrades).
How come???

Linux Registered User #476391
Old 3rd July 2008, 02:31 AM
Driftwould Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDC
sorry for the little hijack, but may I ask if I am the only one to find F9 ___by far___ much more solid than F8? and I have an old pc... over one month running night and day and reboot only for upgrades, not even a single crash, problem of sort, even after upgrading (I did ALL the suggested upgrades).
How come???
I'm loving F9! Little rocky at first but but everything seems to be smoothed out now on my box. I can't say enough about how much I love NetworkManager with my mobile broadband card. The updates seemed to have fixed all my flash problems and I haven't had any problems with FF3 since the update. I also had some problems with Rhythmbox, but its all good now.

It would be nice to customize the login background, but that's just small stuff. I'm not a power user but I use it for everything. The last time I used Vista was a couple of months ago to update the firmware on my iriver T10.

For me Fedora 9 rocks!
Old 2nd July 2008, 04:38 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

I think that for certain hardware combinations, and for those who do not try to heavily custom tweak their systems, F9 is indeed showing us what it really can, and eventually will, be. By the time it hits the same part of its life cycle that F8 is in right now, It will no doubt be a solid performer.

Except KDE 4.0 I don't think anything can be done to rescue that particular trainwreck! <....>
Old 2nd July 2008, 05:03 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Yeah, I concur. I find F9 to be a good solid distro behind the scenes. Until you try to do anything different. Well, I never did have any stability problems, or random bugs anyway. The things that bother me about F9 have all been things that are reconfigured, omitted, or otherwise just plain borked. But the OS is strong and now that I have everything how it needs to be I have no problems at all.
Old 2nd July 2008, 05:14 PM
LDC Offline

I cannot imagine what can mess it up....

Linux Registered User #476391
Old 2nd July 2008, 06:48 PM
Boricua Offline

So, far, I find F9 to be a little more stable (and useful) than F8, albeit F8 artwork is better (login screen; default wallpaper). F9 fixed for me two headaches from F8: a working pulseaudio and the ability to sink my Tungsten T with gpilot out of the box . That said, both are by far more stable than Ubuntu 7.10, according to my experience in my work machine, AMD 64 bit.