Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th October 2008, 04:05 PM
sateayam Offline

Talking migrate squid

Hi all,
Nice to know all of u...
I've got problem, can u tell how to migrate squid server?
1. actually, Ive old machine that squid has already installed, and then I want to move it into the newest machine. would u tell me how?
2. how can i get the last iptables config in old machine, cause the iptables config in old machine will move to the network devices.
Ok all, thanks for assistance

BRAVO PENGUIN....!!!!

Last edited by sateayam; 7th October 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 7th October 2008, 04:22 PM
linuxman11 Offline

What's your old distribution and the new that you want to migrate to?
The old Squid installation was from rpm or source, If it's source so you should check what options did you or they compiled Squid with so you can repeat it on the new machine,
It's easy to tell using the squid command with -v option on the old machine and it will tell you what options squid is compiled with, may they changed some thing for a reason,
Any way, the default installation of Squid on RedHat systems is to put squid.conf as /etc/squid/squid.conf And the cache directory is there, /var/spool/squid
These are the most important things you want to move to the new machine, The cache and the configuration file for squid.
Regards,
Old 7th October 2008, 05:18 PM
sateayam Offline

Thanks man for the explain,
For your information, I use CentOS 4 for the old, and I will use CentOS 5 for the new.
And, I used rpm source for installation before on old machine.
What command should I use to get squid compiler info? Can u tell me why I should know?
Can you tell me more, how to find out the iptables config in the old machine? Cause the iptables on the old will be used on my network devices.

BRAVO PENGUIN..!!!
Old 8th October 2008, 09:52 AM
linuxman11 Offline

What command should I use to get squid compiler info?
squid -v
Can u tell me why I should know?
Because some system a dmins recompile squid manually and they don't use the pre-compiled rpms because they want to do some thing special with squid or with any other software.
for example this is the default configuration of squid on most RedHat systems,
[root@somehost ~]# squid -v

Squid Cache: Version 3.0.STABLE7
configure options: '--build=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--exec_prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/sbin' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid' '--localstatedir=/var' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc/squid' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--enable-arp-acl' '--enable-auth=basic,digest,ntlm' '--enable-basic-auth-helpers=LDAP,MSNT,NCSA,PAM,SMB,YP,getpwnam,multi-domain-NTLM,SASL' '--enable-cache-digests' '--enable-cachemgr-hostname=localhost' '--enable-delay-pools' '--enable-digest-auth-helpers=password' '--enable-epoll' '--enable-external-acl-helpers=ip_user,ldap_group,unix_group,wbinfo_group ' '--enable-icap-client' '--enable-ident-lookups' '--with-large-files' '--enable-linux-netfilter' '--enable-ntlm-auth-helpers=SMB,fakeauth' '--enable-referer-log' '--enable-removal-policies=heap,lru' '--enable-snmp' '--enable-ssl' '--enable-storeio=aufs,coss,diskd,null,ufs' '--enable-useragent-log' '--enable-wccpv2' '--with-aio' '--with-default-user=squid' '--with-filedescriptors=16384' '--with-dl' '--with-openssl=/usr/kerberos' '--with-pthreads' 'build_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-fPIE -Os -g -pipe -fsigned-char -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables' 'LDFLAGS=-pie' 'CXXFLAGS=-fPIE -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables' 'FFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables'

Some a dmins want to modify some thing from the default installation of any software so they get the source code for that software and not rpm, And modify the parameters as they wish to extend for example the capabilities of squid.
But in your case this all isn't important because you installed the rpm that come with Cenos.
You will find the configuration files in the places I told you before about.
Copy the squid.conf and the old cache to the new machine with there old permissions, Remember to check the permissions and the owners so you do the same set-up on the new machine,
check with ls -l
Also if squid will not start you can check the errors in the cache.log file and it's located at /var/log/squid/cache.log and troubleshoot.
how to find out the iptables config in the old machine? Cause the iptables on the old will be used on my network devices.
It's there man,
/etc/sysconfig/iptables
Copy it to your new system and just restart the iptables service and you will have the same old iptables rules that were there on the old machine.
Regards,
Old 15th October 2008, 02:49 AM
sateayam Offline

Thank you very much Man for the assistanced..!!

Warm Regards,

Tags
migrate, squid