Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 17th March 2009, 10:32 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

Thumbs up Rebuilding the Grub Boot Loader on Master Boot Record (MBR) w Fedora Linux

Hey guys, this covers how to fix your boot loader if your installed windows AFTER you installed Linux. This has actually been covered rather extensively in this forum, but a lot of people still have trouble with it, so i made a video lesson on the process. You can find it here:

And for those of you who only need the commands and do not need the video, they are as follows:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda

Also, i have a question for the more experienced users here: do you this that this subject would be classified as "Fedora", or as "General Linux Administration"? I was going to file the lesson under General Linux Administration on my website because it is pretty much exactly just that; but i do not recall seeing the option to do this same procedure on any other distro's installer, so i decided that this IS Fedora-SPECIFIC.

Thanx, and good luck.

Last edited by Vector; 20th July 2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:50 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

Sorry, forgot i changed this link too....
http://linuxintro.com/?a=WCMS_Page&i...07001237324702
Old 1st August 2009, 04:17 AM
BenTrein Offline

linuxopera
Hm, both videos have been removed by user... :S

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp. The more you surf the more it draws you in!

Great authors suffer from Writer's Block. I cherrish my Writer's Blog!
Old 1st August 2009, 08:23 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Yeah, my dumbass accidentally deleted them, and the originals. I will have to remake them.
Old 1st August 2009, 08:26 AM
BenTrein Offline

linuxopera
Any chance of a more detailed explanation as to when and where to enter the in the first post mentioned commands?
As in, I'm downloading Windoze 7, and will install this on sda1. After installation, I'm pretty sure my pc will only boot windoze. How do I get the F11 install back, provided I didn't delete it?

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp. The more you surf the more it draws you in!

Old 1st August 2009, 08:33 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
You would put the DVD in, and choose "Rescue Installed System", then follow the prompts, and wait for it to give you a terminal. Then you type:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install /dev/sda

I could be off by just a little bit, because it's been a long time since i've had to do this. There is another thread somewhere in these forums where another user gave the instructions, but i'd have to look through alllllllllllll of my posts to find it, which i'm just a bit too busy for ATM, but you could check through my posts and let me know if you did not find it, and i will then look for it.

Hope that helped.
Old 1st August 2009, 08:39 AM
BenTrein Offline

linuxopera
Thanks; I don't blame you for not looking through all your posts; I'm not going to do it either just yet. I'll keep this info, and try it. If it doesn't work, there'll always be a working version of Windoze to help me look through all your posts!

Edit: I'm happy to report that this method does indeed work fine. Installed Windoze 7, and after that, Selinux had to relable my drives. Other than that, there was no problem... Thanks a lot.

Last edited by BenTrein; 1st August 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Tags
boot, fedora, grub, linux, loader, master, mbr, rebuilding, record