<---- template headericclude ----->
IMAC G5 & Fedora 10
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    phsaet Guest

IMAC G5 & Fedora 10

Hi,

Tried to install fedora 10 onto my IMAC G5 via a DVD. Process seemed to be going well but after installation, there was this static screen (distorted TV image????), and the computer hangs. Will appreciate if anyone can write to me with solutions.

Best regards,

ET (Singapore)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how did you install? alongside mac OS as a dual boot or did you wipe whole computer and install just fedora? if dual boot, can you still boot up into OSX? when do you get the static? before bootloader or after you choose Fedora? Do you see any text before the static? I probably can't help (other than to suggest just starting over like I would!) but maybe with some more info you might get some more helpful replies.

phsaet Guest
    HI,

Many thanks for the response. Tried to dual boot with Mac OS using the DVD while holding down the option key. Next, I have the option to choose Fedora or Mac OS. After choosing Feroda, some text came on and then the static? Anyone out there able to help. BTW, not sure this is worth it because last night, my IMAC crushed and I suspect it has something to do with me trying to boot using Fedora.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you have a firewire drive you could try installing to that instead. I don't know what's wrong. I'm on a G5 iMac and it works, though after a while none of my audio visual programs worked at all anymore despite having all the codecs etc. And reinstalling a couple of times. You will find your display is off center once you get it installed, but there's a solution to that here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...=214483&page=2

You could wait a few days and be bold an just go for Fedora 11, looks like that may be last Fedora release for PowerPC as "primary architecture" and it may be using a different video driver, resolving the off center issue

Is your Mac OS at least working now?

phsaet Guest
    Many thanks for your effort. I will stay on the sideline for now. Fedora is too much of a experimental thing for people like me. Yes, my IMAc us working again after re-installation.

Best.