Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th June 2009, 07:35 PM
Lafflin Offline

F10 15 minute startup time

I am just learning Linux, one of the issues I'm having is that this Machine (with respectable desktop specs) takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to restart. I'm wondering id that's normal because it's a server class OS and simply just has a lot of processes to start, or is there something wrong, if so than what?
Once it's up it doesn't seem to be slow at all.

Dell Optiplex 745
Intel Core 2 2.4 GHZ
2 Gb RAM

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 9th June 2009, 07:50 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Fifteen to Twenty minutes from power-on to desktop is definitely not normal, nor acceptable. Try turning off unnecessary system services, and other tweaks: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-f10.html

See if that helps. Post back with results, and we'll try more if not.

V

P.S. If necessary, bootchart will help isolate the cause of the delay(s):
yum install bootchart

Then you must add it to the kernel boot line(s) in grub.conf

Last edited by Hlingler; 9th June 2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 9th June 2009, 08:54 PM
William Haller Online

The only time I've encountered situations like that on my boxes was when the networking wasn't configured properly and it was trying to access real world services (like ClamAV updates, ntpd, off-box ldap or other items) and couldn't. It eventually times out, but is really slow.

Oh for a Ctrl-C during the boot phase to tell it to give up on some service it's hung on.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:33 PM
Lafflin Offline

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but every time I install something via YUM I get the error ".....you might try running yum install-complete-transaction"
Which of course I do and the message never goes away.

Also yum can't download the packages for bootchart, error ends with "no more mirrors to try"
Old 9th June 2009, 10:44 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Please post results of commands:
rpm -q yum-utils
(as root user or sudo) yum-complete-transaction
yum repolist

V
Old 9th June 2009, 11:06 PM
Lafflin Offline

[root@dora ~]# rpm -q yum-utils
yum-utils-1.1.19-1.fc10.noarch
[root@dora ~]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
livna | 2.4 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates | 2.8 kB 00:00
fedora | 2.8 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-free-updates | 2.8 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-free | 2.7 kB 00:00
adobe-linux-i386 | 951 B 00:00
updates | 3.0 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree | 2.7 kB 00:00
repo id repo name status
adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled: 17
fedora Fedora 10 - i386 enabled: 11,416
livna rpm.livna.org for 10 - i386 enabled: 3
rpmfusion-free RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Free enabled: 324
rpmfusion-free-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Free - Updates enabled: 814
rpmfusion-nonfree RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Nonfree enabled: 142
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Nonfree - Updates enabled: 577
updates Fedora 10 - i386 - Updates enabled: 5,568
repolist: 18,861
[root@dora ~]#
Old 9th June 2009, 11:19 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

OK, and try running (as root user) yum-complete-transaction. You may have to repeat it more than once (maybe many times) to clear the uncompleted transaction list. Read: man yum-complete-transaction for details. For example: you can tell it to only clean up the transaction list, not to actually try to do anything (by passing the '--cleanup-only' switch).

V

P.S. This begs the question: how did YUM/RPM's database get so whacked? Something funky happen we don't know about, like a live upgrade?? Transaction aborted/power failure after a commit???

P.P.S. When you're done cleaning up the mess, also run (as root), part of same yum-utils package:
package-cleanup --dupes
package-cleanup --problems

And post results (if any).

Last edited by Hlingler; 9th June 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:36 PM
Lafflin Offline

I do not know, all I can say is that I am trying to figure out how to get Snort up and running. Perhaps it was when I was trying to install slew of things using Tarballs and RPMs prior to realizing the magic of yum? Could that have done it?
Old 9th June 2009, 11:43 PM
Lafflin Offline

I'm impressed. It took two seconds to run the command you mentioned and clean up unfinished installs. At that point I went back and tried installing Bootcatch again and what do you know it worked.
I wish I was a Linux guru, that was pretty cool. I'm going to reboot and see what happens now after I figure out how to add it to the boot line in grub.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:03 AM
Lafflin Offline

To clarify the situation, the initial boot process goes fine. It's the signing in and loading the desktop that literally takes 10-15 minutes.
I sign in, watch the circle go round near the mouse for about four minutes then look at a blank desktop for another twelve or so before being able to see anything other than the generic desktop background.

I'm leaving work now, I'll look at the results of bootcatch tomorrow. However since I addressed the issue incorrectly at the beginning of this post I realize that bootcatch might not be the answer to my problem.
Old 10th June 2009, 01:46 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

"bootchart". The line (must edit as root user or sudo) in /boot/grub/grub.conf should look like so:
Code:
title Fedora (2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686)
        root (hd1,4)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686 ro root=UUID=00d06112-3fe1-474e-a681-34b5ae07f0f2 rhgb lapic init=/sbin/bootchartd
        initrd /initrd-2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686.img
After a boot with that option, you can (as any user) simply run command "bootchart" from command line inside your HOME folder, and a picture will be generated. You can see what is causing the delay. Perhaps if it's a desktop loading item/issue, you won't see it, but I suggest that you try.

V

P.S. Installing software from tarballs, whether source code or binary, could well be a problem, if system libraries were replaced. That's why I suggested a 'package-cleanup' run, but a more thorough verification might be required.

Last edited by Hlingler; 10th June 2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10th June 2009, 02:08 AM
Lafflin Offline

I read up a little on bootchart and found exactly what you told me, however it looked that it placed that line into my boot loader itself upon install.

I'll report back tomorrow and we'll take a look see.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:39 PM
esnakk Offline

resolver issue?

Check your dns resolvers. If you for some reason can't resolve (such as your own hostname) this could cause sendmail, ntp, named etc to hang for very long during startup... But 15 min is a loong time. Could be combination of several things. Possibly hardware error?

--esnakk
Old 10th June 2009, 04:08 PM
Lafflin Offline

By DNS resolvers I am going to guess that that's a lot like DNS settings. After a quick Google search I learned that DNS setting are stored in a file /etc/resolv.conf.
I opened it with Gedit and noticed there was three lines in it. one was my windows DNS server, then there was a mysterious 167.206.7.4 address and finally there was 4.2.2.2

I removed the second (167.XX) one
Old 10th June 2009, 04:09 PM
Lafflin Offline

There's no hardware error, compatibility error maybe, but no hardware error.

Tags
f10, minute, startup, time