Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th July 2009, 10:31 AM
kldixon Offline

Separate /usr partition

Does anyone know why a separate partition for /usr is deprecated in Fedora 11?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...mmend-x86.html

Is it because of the use of the X server in the graphical boot?

Or is it a NetworkManager related issue, eg.
Bug 463168 - RFE: NM and all its deps should move from /usr to /
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=463168

I always thought /usr was designed to be mounted from a file server and should not be required during boot.
This seems to be against, at least the spirit of the FHS, if not the letter, and after the suggestion of removing /usr from Fedora 12 as reported in Fedora Weekly News Issue 172, I am getting worried.
Old 27th July 2009, 07:22 PM
SlowJet Offline

It only applies if thee separate /usr f/s is on a network, because NM can't start to start the network.
NM should be in /, or recovery would be difficult also. (i.e. only /boot and / mounted)

I has nothing to do with xorg or gui, they don't started for another eon (in cpu moemory, disk time) after the the system gets up.

SJ

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search