Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th July 2010, 04:12 AM
Shaggakhanz Offline

windows_7chrome
Virtualbox with Windows 7

I am running Fedora 13, I have installed virtual box that is running Windows 7. I am attempting to run a few star wars video games. Everything works in the virtual machine however it doesn't see any 3D hardware therefore not letting me run these games. I had W7 installed on the computer before and I love fedora and I don't want to dual boot. Is there anyway that anyone knows how to get this working or is there another program that can run a virtual machine for me? Quick update, I installed somethings using the Device menu and Install Guest Additions. That go some mouse and a better video resolution to work however, when using dxdiag in Windows 7, it says that the 3D Acceleration is unavailable. In the settings I have 3D accelration enabled of course.

Last edited by Shaggakhanz; 27th July 2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:28 AM
NatLWalker Offline

windows_vistaie
Re: Virtualbox with Windows 7

VMs are for convenience and running desktop applications, or testing, etc. They aren't for gaming. At least, they aren't for games that we'd classify above trivial.

The Guest Additions are needed because the VM software has its own emulated hardware platform, as well as to facilitate things like Host-to-Guest Drag and Drop/Copy and Paste, etc. That is why even the 2D accelleration is bad, and you get limited resolutions in the guest without the Guest Addidions. It's like running Windows without a Graphics Driver installed, and using the generic VESA driver.

They aren't made to replace dual boot/separate machines in all scenarios/use cases.
Old 27th July 2010, 07:56 PM
Shaggakhanz Offline

linuxchrome

Ok thanks for the info. It was just an idea I had that might have worked. Oh well...
Old 29th July 2010, 02:29 PM
corstar Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Have you tried these options?
Just google for the sites..

cedega
CXgames(cross over games)
playonlinux
wine

With these programs combined, you can play tonnnes of stuff in Linux.

Tags
virtualbox, windows