Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th September 2010, 04:00 PM
Blsep9 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Install Help Needed

I am trying to install F12 or F13 on a Toshiba c655D-S5057 laptop. It currently has windows 7 and I would like to make it dual boot. I squeezed the windows partition down from within windows. When I put in the fedora disk, it starts to install, then gives lots of cryptic messgaes, and eventually hangs up. I have to use the power button to re-start and manually eject the disk.

Please Help!
Old 13th September 2010, 04:23 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Install Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blsep9

When I put in the fedora disk, it starts to install, then gives lots of cryptic messgaes, and eventually hangs up. I have to use the power button to re-start and manually eject the disk.
Starts to install? Or starts to boot and doesn't make it to the installer?

Either way, a couple of safe guesses would be either the disk was made from a corrupt ISO file or the disk is of very poor optical quality. For the former, verify the ISO file and download it again if it is found to be corrupt. For the latter, there are several things to consider. But for now I recommend burning again from a known good ISO to a blank disk of the highest quality that you can find. If you must use another disk from the same batch, then try burning at a lower speed than the disk's rated max (say, 1/2 max). No promises, but a slower burn speed sometimes can make a poor quality disk squeak by for the installation.
Old 13th September 2010, 04:40 PM
Blsep9 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Re: Install Help Needed

Starts to install. (I actually see the main menu and choose intall before the gibberish starts).

I have tried several times with different install dvd's (made on different computers). I alsways get the same result. Is there any other possible cause?

Tags
install, needed