Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th March 2011, 11:08 PM
Captain BO Offline

linuxfirefox
Angry Pulse Audio - At the end of my teather

Pulseaudio has been nothing but a menace to me. I must have spent around 6 or 7 hours now in total trying to get it working with Wine with no luck.

When I open winecfg and go to the audio tab I get the following error in the terminal:
Code:
ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
Sometimes, when attempting to play the test sound it will just do nothing and sometimes it will give the test sound failed error. This is always printed whenever I've tried the test sound:
Code:
fixme:winmm:proc_PlaySound Couldn't play header
Something that came up a few times during my searching is a permissions error. It suggested I add my user to the "audio" group so I did just that and the same problems happen. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pulseaudio many, many times. I followed a howto that involved installing a load of Pulseaudio-related packages and now when I try to uninstall them YUM wants to remove a whole load of other stuff including Java, Pidgin and VLC! WTF!?

Please, if someone has a solution to getting Wine working with sound (with or without Pukeaudio) please, help a man in need.

P.S: An important note: I'm running F14 with XFCE.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:11 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Pulse Audio - At the end of my teather

Captain ... That's the last time you'll use that kind of language on these forums. Period.

That gotten out of the way, welcome to the club of rabid dis-admirers of PulseAudio. Kinda despise it myself.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:18 PM
Captain BO Offline

linuxfirefox

Sorry, just it's given me nothing but grief ever since installing Fedora XFCE. I think that for most people, Pulseaudio has no advantage over ALSA or OSS and gives them a whole host of issues to boot.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:44 PM
CronoCloud Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Are you running 64 bit or 32 bit Fedora, because if you're running the 32 bit wine (as is recommended even on 64 bit fedora) you'll need the 32 bit pulseaudio's.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
Old 10th March 2011, 12:50 AM
Captain BO Offline

linuxfirefox

Actually this links in with another problem I had. I have 64 bit Fedora and a little while ago I tried installing 32 bit Wine and I couldn't use it. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was something to the effect of "You are running 64 bit Linux. 32 bit Wine cannot run in this environment". I'll give it another go and see if I have any more luck this time.

Edit: That problem was caused by having the old, 64 bit, wine config directories. I just deleted those and 32 bit Wine started working. At first, I was getting similar errors to before but I tried winecfg out of root and, like magic, sound worked! Thanks very much CronoCloud for that suggestion

Here is the exact error if anyone else is getting it:
Code:
wine: '/home/(username)/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.

Last edited by Captain BO; 10th March 2011 at 01:06 AM.

Tags
audio, end, pulse, teather