Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd April 2011, 03:14 AM
Wayne Offline

linuxfirefox
Ubuntu 11.10 Will Not Ship With A Classic Gnome Desktop

So, people will be "stuck" with Unity or will have to look for another distro. Wonder if it will available in the repos or in a PPA?

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/ubunt...h-classic.html
Old 3rd April 2011, 04:38 AM
kiddokun Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Will Not Ship With A Classic Gnome Desktop

Thanks for giving me one more reason of ditching Ubuntu for Fedora 15. I've been steadily growing sick of their attitude and this is yet another in the same direction. I do wonder if they will die/fail or if Unity will be a huge success though.
Old 4th April 2011, 03:24 PM
nathan28 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddokun View Post
Thanks for giving me one more reason of ditching Ubuntu for Fedora 15. I've been steadily growing sick of their attitude and this is yet another in the same direction. I do wonder if they will die/fail or if Unity will be a huge success though.
I signed up here just to post that... last straw for me. Shuttleworth is becoming the Steve Jobs of FOSS. Thanks for pushing me to leave Windows, but you pushed me to leave Ubuntu, too. Time to migrate my data and repartition my disks.

Maybe he's trying to make linux more accessible to the masses. But you can't really do that with a default DE with high-end requirements. Unity won't even run on my 2004 Gateway... Unity mixes good with bad. I have no problem learning a new DE, but I do have a problem with learning a DE that sucks that's impossible to customize. Why make the default *DESK*top environment one designed for touchscreen tablets and phones? Between KDE, Unity and GNOME Shell, thanks, but I'll just store the Gnome 2.x source somewhere on an indestructible medium and compile from it as necessary in the future.
Old 13th April 2011, 04:00 PM
flansuse Offline

linuxfirefox
Talking Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Will Not Ship With A Classic Gnome Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan28 View Post
Maybe he's trying to make linux more accessible to the masses. But you can't really do that with a default DE with high-end requirements. Unity won't even run on my 2004 Gateway... Unity mixes good with bad. I have no problem learning a new DE, but I do have a problem with learning a DE that sucks that's impossible to customize. Why make the default *DESK*top environment one designed for touchscreen tablets and phones?
If you substituted "GNOME 3" in place of "Unity" above, the same argument is made. I also agree that GNOME 2.x is fine and it does in fact feel like a true desktop environment. The same for KDE and Xfce. GNOME 3 and Unity? Like you said: tablets and phones
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:52 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Hope it runs in VMs and so on. One assumes that will be the case.
Old 3rd April 2011, 08:50 AM
tox

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Hope it runs in VMs and so on. One assumes that will be the case.
VM's will have to support 3D, otherwise i cant see it working in VM's untill you install the 3D Drivers, its the same with Gnome3, unless VM's support 3D out of the VM Box i cant see Ubuntu11.10 an Fedeora16 working in VM's without the 3D drivers preinstalled, unless you use the opensource drivers which may or maynot work for you
Old 3rd April 2011, 09:39 AM
Breeze Offline

linuxfirefox

Maybe I should try Debian.
Old 3rd April 2011, 09:46 AM
tox

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Maybe I should try Debian.
Debian6 has Gnome2.3x

Debian7 wil go Gnome3
Old 3rd April 2011, 09:54 AM
zettberlin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I do not really care what default-desktop is installed by any distro.

I am more the KDE-user but Fedora 14 I run with XFCE, since KDE4 feels a bit slower on my Thinkpad with 2GBRAM/ATIfree drivers. Anyway: my first steps if I install a distro I plan to use on a regular basis are:

1.) optimize for RT and see if Jack starts and runs properly
2.) install KDE, XFCE and Fluxbox(if available).

If Ubuntu comes with Unity only I will have to install GNOME also -- 10 minutes more...

Last edited by zettberlin; 3rd April 2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typos
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:39 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

I'm wondering about these default desktops--are they all requiring 3D now? (Well, Unity and Gnome 3).

I haven't bought or shopped a new machine in a couple of years, so don't know if 3D is standard now. It's not on my netbook, and I don't think it is on my larger, almost unused laptop either.

It's not all that important to me because I use fluxbox and openbox, and I really don't know how much backlash there will be over either--the ones who dislike it will complain, the ones who don't really mind probably won't say anything.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:41 AM
wolfen69

linuxubuntuchrome

Guess what guys, gnome 3 is easily installable in ubuntu. 11.10 will have no problem working with it. I'm going to repost something here that I found on ubuntuforums.

Originally Posted by wolfen69
What about when they took away gnome 1? Where's my option to keep using it with modern apps? I can't use it? Why not? It wasn't broken, why was it changed? Gnome 1 ruled! What about the people who loved it? Are they still complaining? Years from now, you'll look at these posts and see just how silly they really are.

So tell me, are we supposed to use gnome 2 forever? Are we supposed to use the same type of UI forever? Canonical is not allowed to develop new DE's? When will it be a good time to develop new DE's? When you say so?

People bitched and moaned when gnome 2 was released also. People complained about KDE4. Guess what? All of that goes away with time, and there will come a day when people will learn to love Unity/Gnome shell, and will ***** and moan when the next change comes along. This nonsense and crybaby attitude must stop.

You would think people could be a bit more mature and rational about this, but I guess it's not going to happen when people feel entitled, and the world owes them something.

If it was in my power, I would take away everyone's computer for a year that complained about new things. Then they would realize what they had, and would kill to use a broken windows 3.1 pc at that point.

Why complain about something you cannot change? Why not get directly involved with the project and make changes? Who am I trying to kid, people don't want to get involved when it's much easier to sit back and be an armchair critic.

2 years from now, I guarantee people will look back at these posts and laugh. There will be a time when it will be hard to imagine ubuntu using anything but unity. You just can't see it right now.

Btw, I'm not posting this in reply to any one particular person, I'm just sayin'.

This pretty much says it all, although some people may have worded it better.

Maybe I'm just getting older and don't like debating and confronting as much as I used to, I don't know. But all this piss and vinegar talk from some of the younger posters is annoying to me. We're talking about OS's here people, not life and death. In other words, lighten up Francis!
Old 7th April 2011, 02:58 AM
tox

linuxchrome

from what iv'e read not all gnome3 Apps are built yet for Ubuntu? think i read that in Harry33's thread , 1 suggests to Add the gnome3 ppa

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

i think its even mentioned on the omgubuntu site on how to do it
Old 7th April 2011, 05:49 AM
wolfen69

linuxubuntuchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
from what iv'e read not all gnome3 Apps are built yet for Ubuntu? think i read that in Harry33's thread , 1 suggests to Add the gnome3 ppa

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

i think its even mentioned on the omgubuntu site on how to do it
Ubuntu will be 100% gnome 3 compatible by 11.10. This is from mark shuttleworth's mouth.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:46 AM
tox

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury View Post
Ubuntu will be 100% gnome 3 compatible by 11.10. This is from mark shuttleworth's mouth.
Ubuntu 11.10 will only have certain amounts of Gnome3 in it. but will still use Unity as Default. Gnome-Shell as an option
Old 11th April 2011, 05:44 AM
wolfen69

linuxubuntuchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
Ubuntu 11.10 will only have certain amounts of Gnome3 in it. but will still use Unity as Default. Gnome-Shell as an option
Actually, I'm using gnome3/shell in 11.04 right now via ppa. Works fine and I really like it.