Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st December 2011, 07:44 PM
jschroeder Offline

macoschrome
Fedora installs, but drops into a grub prompt on rebooting

Hi All,

This one really stumped me, and i've seen many other posts describing a similar problem so I thought I'd post the issue and the solution.

The environment:
Shuttle XPC SN85G4 (full system id is sn85g40-v3gh0-37)
One DVD drive on IDE Channel 1 Slave
One Maxtor 100GB GL100MO HD Channel 2 Master (Extended IDE Drive)

Problem Description:
Installed Fedora 14 from DVD using preset configs only, no changes. Installed flawlessly without errors. Reboot drops into grub rather than booting fedora.

Resolution:
after reading many, many posts, working with grub, system recovery tool, fdisk, device.map, etc. etc. I was able to solve the problem by doing the following:

1) In bios, I switched the Access Mode for the maxstore drive from "Auto" to "large".
2) YOU MUST REINSTALL at this point.

Now the boot loader functioned perfectly and fedora came right up. This may help with others who have a SATA drive installed under extended IDE and can't get fedora to boot.

Tags
drops, fedora, grub, installs, prompt, rebooting

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search