Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:49 PM
hajime Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Question no save button showing in wireless connect

I just loaded Fedora 16 onto a Compac mini 110 netbook hardrive (from a usb stick). All updates are on it and everything runs fine. I am hard wired to a modem to receive all the updates and internet thru Firefox. The only problem is that I want to setup the wireles connection...I go to "network connections" then "DSL", then"add", then I fill in the info for the DSL connection but the "save" button on the bottom right of the window is not there and there is no way to scrool down to see it. I have hit the "enter" key to see if it would save the info, but it does not save. Fedora16 is the only OS on this netbook. 99% of the time this netbook will only be used to surf the internet wireless but I cannot save the info! I am a newbie at Linux and any help is appreciated.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:07 AM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome
Re: no save button showing in wireless connect

If you go into the configure connection view their should be a save button next to cancel. Note that Fedora will automatically connect to any wireless connection it has ever connected to if its in range unless you tell it otherwise (manually, with each network connection). I don't know how it handles networks that don't broadcast an SSID.

I'm not sure what you mean by "network connections" then "DSL". Are you using an alternative network manager to the one in Gnome 3?
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:37 PM
hajime Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Angry Re: no save button showing in wireless connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanej View Post
If you go into the configure connection view their should be a save button next to cancel. Note that Fedora will automatically connect to any wireless connection it has ever connected to if its in range unless you tell it otherwise (manually, with each network connection). I don't know how it handles networks that don't broadcast an SSID.

I'm not sure what you mean by "network connections" then "DSL". Are you using an alternative network manager to the one in Gnome 3?
Sorry, I went to to "DSL" in the network connections set-up, should have gone to the "wireless" set-up. I now went to the "wireless" set-up, put in my SSID number, saved, and still get no wireless connection to my modem. I do not know the other info to put in for the Wireless Security Settings set-up (Mode?...MTU?...IP4 Settings?...IPv6 Settings?...Wireless Security Settings? I use Verizon wireless with their modem. I have called their tech support, but they cannot help because they do not support Linux. Any info is really appreciated.
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:29 PM
caliban Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Sorry, I went to to "DSL" in the network connections set-up, should have gone to the "wireless" set-up. I now went to the "wireless" set-up, put in my SSID number, saved, and still get no wireless connection to my modem. I do not know the other info to put in for the Wireless Security Settings set-up (Mode?...MTU?...IP4 Settings?...IPv6 Settings?...Wireless Security Settings? I use Verizon wireless with their modem. I have called their tech support, but they cannot help because they do not support Linux. Any info is really appreciated.
Hi -- When you receive answers to all your questions, I'd sure like to read them. Thanks for asking them. Perhaps we should look elsewhere on the 'net for a Beginners' Guide to Fedora wireless? I've looked at several books, but none is basic enough for my needs.
Caliban
Old 24th December 2011, 12:17 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

Normally NetworkManager sets up your wireless connection automatically, if you have a working driver and the proper firmware installed (sometimes you have to download proprietary firmware and put it in /lib/firmware for it to work). Try left clicking the NetworkManager icon and if the driver is working it will present you with a list of wireless networks it sees.

If you don't see anything there then figure out what wireless card you have using the commands lsusb and lspci and look through /var/log/messages for anything requesting firmware.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:04 PM
hajime Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

@ JEO......The manual physical switch on the netbook...when switched off, the little network icon on top right of desktop indicates "firmware missing". So I leave it on and it indicates "wireless on". It does not present me with a list of networks it sees. The wireless card according to lspci command is a Broadcom Corp. BCM4312 802.11b/g Lp-Phy (rev 01). Looking through /var/log/messages is greyed out. If I need to download and install anything that you may think would fix the problem please give me step by step as I am a rookie at Linux. Even if nothing seems to work, I will just replace Fedora with another flavor of Linux.
Old 25th December 2011, 01:08 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfirefox

Here is the guide that tells you what driver to install for broadcom wireless:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=239922
Old 1st January 2012, 06:32 PM
hajime Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Talking Re: no save button showing in wireless connect

[QUOTE=JEO;1541406]Here is the guide that tells you what driver to install for broadcom wireless.

@JEO....Thank you, I am all set now...Have a healthy New Year.

Tags
button, connect, no save button, save, showing, wireless