Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th February 2012, 11:32 PM
spark85 Offline

windows_7firefox
Dell XPS 15 laptop, how to get extended displays on hdmi monitor

Hello,

I'm a Linux Newbie looking for some help setting up my system. I am trying to to extend my display from my laptop to an HDMI monitor. Here is what I've tried so far:

1) Change the system settings. I checked 'detect displays', and the display wasn't detected.

I read somewhere that the default configuration for the 'linux' Nvidia driver is not to support dual display, and that you had to install the Nvidia driver. Once installed, you could run nvidia-config, and it would open a utility where you could enable dual displays.

I tried doing that, and it crashed my system. I had some difficulties installing the driver because you had to stop the X-server system. I was able to do this eventually, by using an init 1 command.

After installing Nvidia's driver, the console would not appear. I then reinstalled the default driver, and my console came back. However, I have the same problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you need any more information from me, and is their a way to enable the dual monitor displays using the linux driver?

Thank you in advance for your time.

(Also, btw, I only have a port for hdmi displays on my laptop. So connecting using DVI or VGA is not an option.)

Tags
dell, displays, extended, extended display, hdmi, laptop, monitor, xps