Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 21st March 2012, 10:02 PM
Doug G Offline

windows_7firefox
Documentation without dates

A Pet Peeve of mine ..

Google searches often turns up promising looking tech documentation, but then after investing a few minutes reading it you realize there is no date on the document, and you're left wondering if you just wasted your time studying obsolete or outdated stuff.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:10 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Documentation without dates

+1 on that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:26 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Oh yes. I made that mistake recently - I did not stop to think how recent the documents were and tried quite a few things - none of which worked. Turned out, most of things in the said source is no longer applicable!
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:47 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Usually, depending upon the topic, I click the more tools option and look for things no more than a year old.
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:47 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
A Pet Peeve of mine ..

Google searches often turns up promising looking tech documentation, but then after investing a few minutes reading it you realize there is no date on the document, and you're left wondering if you just wasted your time studying obsolete or outdated stuff.
If it's html, some times you can use "view source" to view embedded dates in the comments. But lots of times the writer doesn't put in good comments. In the case of pdfs, I look in the pdf's properties for the creation/modification data stamp.
Old 12th April 2012, 08:46 AM
Doug G Offline

linuxfirefox

So tonite I found out about chrony on f16, so I went to the chrony home page. Looks like it's from the 1990's, not a date to be found on the home page. Am I wasting my time reading this stuff or did google help me find an obsolete page? After drilling down a couple levels I finally found a dated page letting me know this was in fact current information.

Most CMS and document publishing systems automatically date stamp pages, it's like these linux (mostly) documentation writers (I use the term loosely) go out of their way to remove any reference of when they wrote something. My gess is they do this so no one will know the docs are outdated and they won't have to work on them again
Old 12th April 2012, 09:04 AM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
it's like these linux (mostly) documentation writers (I use the term loosely) go out of their way to remove any reference of when they wrote something. My gess is they do this so no one will know the docs are outdated and they won't have to work on them again
Don't forget that documentation is a programmer's absolute favourite activity... (Cue bad puns like "let sleeping docs lie" or "it's a doc's life".)

I like smr54's tip above (search for pages no more than a year old) -- thanks for that.