Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th March 2012, 07:01 PM
soljaris Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Huge problem trying to use K9copy

Hi everybody, this is my first time posting to this forum, though I have lurking a lot before.
I have to ask help directly because searching with the various appropriate keywords all the suggestions I could find didn't solve my problem, not surprisingly since none of those described exactly the situation I am facing.

I had to install K9copy since as far as I know that's the only software that is able to shrink a DVD9 into a DVD5 while allowing to choose which titles to keep and which to discard.

I did install K9copy using yum install. The procedure apparently installed to most up to date version of the program given my system.
My OS is Kernel Linux 2.6.35.14.-106.fc14.i686 installed on an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+
KDE - Platform Version 4.6.5 (4.6.5)
The K9copy package installed by yum is k9copy-2.3.6-1.fc14.i686

The problem is that k9copy doesn't open any DVD. It's not a peripheral problem since it doesn't work even with .iso files copied on the system hard disc.

If I try to open an .iso image, when I select the 'DVD Author' action from the menu, I get the following message: 'Cannot open then library libavcodec Cannot open then library libavformat Cannot open then library libswscale' though I have all those libraries installed.

If I try to use the 'wizard' assistant, i get the message 'can't open disc' if I choose an .iso image, but I get a program crash if I choose a DVD on a peripheral unit. After the crash, the program displays the following error detail: 'Executable: k9copy PID: 30990 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)' before closing.

Does anyone have an idea about what's happening and how could I get K9copy to work in my system?

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th April 2012, 08:34 PM
w00tlarz Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Huge problem trying to use K9copy

You may be missing libdvdcss libraries (used for decypting dvds). I'm currently running archlinux and it solved the same problem. It appears to solve the problem in Ubuntu as well.

Tags
huge, k9copy, problem