Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th April 2012, 06:46 PM
cipicip Offline

linuxfirefox
Kernel panic on boot after upgrade to 3.3.*

Hi guys,

For the past couple of kernel upgrades starting with version 3.3.0, the kernel panics on boot. Unfortunatelly I can't make it show any debug info. It simply panics when attempting to load initram. Here's a screenshot.

I'm running F16 on a Dell XPS model l501X and the NVIDIA drive version is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.20 (I've blacklisted nouveau). The latest kernel that works is 3.2.10-3.fc16.x86_64. The newer versions crash.

Some ppl on this forum fixed this issue by disabling the power management or fixing their grub.cfg file, no luck in my case.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 4th June 2012, 03:06 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Kernel panic on boot after upgrade to 3.3.*

I don't know the source of your problem, but while looking it up on the web, I found out about the interesting command addr2line, which might be able to locate the routine that causes the panic. http://fixunix.com/kernel/396075-re-...eption-0e.html

I've never used addr2line and I don't understand why it worked in that example. Does the syntax that was used ("vmlinuz") depend on being booted successfully with the particular kernel being analyzed? Could you use a longer name (like "vmlinuz-3.3.5-2.fc16.x86_64") to analyze an error in a kernel that won't boot? Must the kernel be compiled with debugging options for this command to work? Perhaps another forum member can explain this command.

The gist of the example is that the early panic with error:

Code:
 PANIC: early exception 0e rip 10:ffffffff80224b4e error 0 cr2 ffffffffff5fb030
was diagnosed (apparently by someone who could boot with the kernel in question) by the command

Code:
addr2line -Cfe vmlinux ffffffff80224b4e
which produced output

Code:
native_apic_read
paravirt.c:0

Tags
boot, kernel, panic, upgrade