Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th May 2012, 08:07 PM
nikolakis Offline

linuxfirefox
cannot install anything

hello.this is my first post.i am new to fedora.i am trying to install a media player that plays all video files.i have downloaded vlc and realplayer but when i double click the rpm file,a message pop up telling me that an error has occured and it pops up in anything i am trying to install.any ideas?
Old 29th May 2012, 08:24 PM
meine Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: cannot install anything

try installing software with Add/Remove Software on the System Tools menu. type VLC in the search box, hit enter and select the suggested version of VLC. if VLC is not avaliable (on older versions of Fedora) go to http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html and type (copy/paste) the code given in terminal. you'll need root access.

Code:

$ su -
# rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
# yum install vlc
# yum install mozilla-vlc
for playing vids Fedora needs some extra work described here http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/ choose the Fedora version you installed on your computer.
you'd look especially at the codec sections. these are needed for playing video and MP3 but are not included in Fedora.

Last edited by meine; 29th May 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 30th May 2012, 08:03 AM
nikolakis Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

thank u all for your help.sorry for the questions that i do but i am so new to this.meine...,when u say root access you mean,type the password in terminal and press enter?
Old 30th May 2012, 08:08 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolakis View Post
thank u all for your help.sorry for the questions that i do but i am so new to this.meine...,when u say root access you mean,type the password in terminal and press enter?
type 'su -' or 'su ', without the quotes in terminal and type the root password when it asks.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:47 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

I'd suggest this way that uses yum instead of using rpm directly:
then do the yum install steps for vlc and mozilla-vlc as shown before
yum now handles downloadable files (that is, the argument can be a URL), this way you use the dependency checking via yum
Old 29th May 2012, 10:57 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

You need to add the RPM Fusion repo, as explained here: http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration.

Then install vlc: "sudo yum install vlc", or use "Add/Remove Software" to find it and it's dependencies.

Or use AutoPlus (http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/) or easyLife (http://easylifeproject.org/), which allow you to install various codecs, DVD support, Flash, etc. without worrying about package repositories.
Old 30th May 2012, 07:46 PM
nikolakis Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
You need to add the RPM Fusion repo, as explained here: http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration.

Then install vlc: "sudo yum install vlc", or use "Add/Remove Software" to find it and it's dependencies.

Or use AutoPlus (http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/) or easyLife (http://easylifeproject.org/), which allow you to install various codecs, DVD support, Flash, etc. without worrying about package repositories.
autorun seems to work but i need another version of it for mee go i guess,or when can i see the version of my mee go/fedora so i can dl the right one,here what happens
Setting up Install Process
autoplus-1.4-5.noarch.rpm | 18 kB 00:00
Examining /var/tmp/yum-root-IYhmSr/autoplus-1.4-5.noarch.rpm: autoplus-1.4-5.noarch
Marking /var/tmp/yum-root-IYhmSr/autoplus-1.4-5.noarch.rpm to be installed
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package autoplus.noarch 0:1.4-5 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: fedora-release >= 15 for package: autoplus-1.4-5.noarch
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: autoplus-1.4-5.noarch (/autoplus-1.4-5.noarch)
Requires: fedora-release >= 15
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-30.lp.i586 has missing requires of /usr/bin/gcj-dbtool
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-30.lp.i586 has missing requires of /usr/bin/gcj-dbtool
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-30.lp.i586 has missing requires of /usr/bin/gij
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-30.lp.i586 has missing requires of /usr/lib/security/classpath.security
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-30.lp.i586 has missing requires of libgcj >= ('0', '4.1.2', '5')
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-30.lp.i586 has missing requires of sinjdoc
pulseaudio-policy-enforcement-1.1.10-1.6.i586 has missing requires of libpulsecommon-0.9.19.so
pulseaudio-policy-enforcement-1.1.10-1.6.i586 has missing requires of libpulsecore-0.9.19.so
system-config-date-docs-1.0.8-1.6.noarch has missing requires of system-config-date >= ('0', '1.9.35', None)
Old 30th May 2012, 07:51 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox

What release of Fedora are you using? Post from terminal the result of this command:
PHP Code:
cat /etc/fedora-release 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 30th May 2012, 08:02 PM
nikolakis Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
What release of Fedora are you using? Post from terminal the result of this command:
PHP Code:
cat /etc/fedora-release 
cat: /etc/fedora-release: No such file or directory
Old 30th May 2012, 09:14 PM
Gareth Jones Offline

linuxfirefox

Are you actually running Fedora? Why do you mention MeeGo? MeeGo is another Linux-based OS, but it isn't Fedora.
Old 31st May 2012, 05:42 AM
nikolakis Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
Are you actually running Fedora? Why do you mention MeeGo? MeeGo is another Linux-based OS, but it isn't Fedora.
i thought it was the same cause a friend of mine told me i should look for programs for fedora cause he installed skype for fedora and it worked.my mistake,sorry.what do u think i should do so i can install a media player?
Old 31st May 2012, 10:53 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Try

Code:
yum install mplayer
And if this meegoo doesn't have no yum download the rpm and try

Code:
rpm -Uvh filename.rpm
Old 31st May 2012, 04:50 PM
Gareth Jones Offline

linuxfirefox

It's possible that some Fedora packages might work on MeeGo, as they're both Linux systems, but it's by no means guaranteed. There could be differences in CPU architecture, software versions, ABIs etc. that all complicate things. Certainly don't try to add a Fedora repo to MeeGo, as you'll probably end up with a host of conflicts. It might be possible to download and install a single RPM, but that didn't work when you first tried it.

My advice is to ask in a MeeGo forum. If you do need to borrow packages from Fedora, they'll be more useful in explaining how to make it work, or suggesting a better solution.

Tags
install