Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th January 2005, 01:14 PM
thestonegroover Offline

Asus WL-107G WLAN and Acer Aspire 1300 woes...

Although a Linux newbie, partly on my recommendation and partly out of curiosity the IT Manager at work has installed FC2 on a couple of Desktops and a Laptop at work. The only problem we have encountered out of all the installations done so far (mine is FC3 on a Sony Vaio, works perfect) is that the Asus WL-107G in the Acer Aspire 1300 Laptop isn't recognised by FC2 (kernel-2.6.10-1.9_FC2). No suprises there, but we didn't think it would be this difficult to get it going. After much deliberation and a couple of aborted attempts (plus one reload) we decided to go for the driver on Driverguide .com (RT2500-STA-Linux-1.4.2.0) which seemed the most up to date and has been tested on FC2 (Ndsiwrapper looked very complicated). Decided not to go for the SoftAp.

I have followed the instructions in the read-me file, and I everything seemed OK until I got to line 2) in the build instructions. The command 'cp -f ./2.6.x/Makefile' comes up with an error message 'missing destination file'. Does anyone know what the missing file is?

In fact, judging by the amount of people having problems with this card/Ralink chipset, does anyone out there feel like giving their fingertips a beating and writing the definitive guide to setting this card up? You would have mine and many others' permanent gratitude...

Many thanks for reading this, look forward to seeing a reply (fingers crossed...)

Last edited by thestonegroover; 26th January 2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 14th February 2005, 04:38 PM
Sniffer Offline

Exclamation Have one as well

Hi Fedora Fellow,

I have that same PCMCIA Card and indeed i have problems.... in my HP Laptop...

In Ubuntu and Kurumin have tried to configure this out with ndiswrapper but without any sucess even in my own or following detailed tuts over it.

In Fedora the drives from the CD, didn't work....were for Red Hat 9.0 or Fedora 1 and following the readme file at same part was complaining on kernel headers..and even installing srpm headers for FC3 Test 1...NOPE NO SUCH LUCK....

So i QUIT...I didn't want to download RH 9.0 Or Fedora 1 (pre historic systems is not my idea of fun..and i don't want to be forced to stay with some OS just because only works on that one....)

Tough and reading your thread, i went to asus and i SEE they have new drives from 10/2004.... i will try Fedora Core 3...because you seem that you put it working just following the readme file!

I'm not much of help for your Acer...but Asus should put in their specification catalogue ONLY FOR RH 9 OR FEDORA AND NOT TO LINUX....

I have bought this card just because it says : FOR LINUX.......YEAH WRONG BIG TIME.

Tags
1300, acer, aspire, asus, wl107g, wlan, woes