Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th May 2005, 02:57 PM
B1gtul34u2 Offline

incorrect screen resolution

Hello all,
Im a newbie to linux althought ive been running redhat 9 for sometime now. however, I have just installed fedora core 3 on dell laptop Dell (250N), the installation went superbly. The problem is the screen resoultion is showing 800x600 and that the monitor type is a Generic CRT. I know that the monitor type is a LCD but i cant figure out how to change the setitng to that of a LCD. When I change the screen resolution settings the screen looks all jumbled up. On previous installations ie windows, I had a resolution of about 1280x 1024. How can I resolve this issue?

Thanx in advance
Old 9th May 2005, 02:58 PM
jim Offline
Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds

in the terminal

system-config-display

choose LCD

Choose your Resolution

save and exit log out and log back in

That should do it!
Registered Linux User: #376813
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?

Last edited by fedorajim; 9th May 2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 9th May 2005, 10:54 PM
B1gtul34u2 Offline

I tried that but it didn't work, I also tried to do it from the control centre but its the same result again. I did a check and the video card is ok. I mean it matches the one that came with the box. Basically when I followed the instructions to choose the LCD display, it cant be chosen because its not highlighted when i clicked on it. What else can i do to change this?

Thanx
Old 10th May 2005, 09:36 AM
roger Offline

if you go in system-config-display, there should be an option "generic lcd" display. use this option and set your resolution to whatever you have.

Roger
Old 10th May 2005, 10:04 PM
B1gtul34u2 Offline

Thanks for your suggestion but I've tried to do that, in fact i have seen the the generic lcd option, when I click on it, the OK button is hightlight so i cant get to choose the lcd. As a matter of fact i cant get to choose any of the monitors that is on the drop down list.

Thanx
Old 1st June 2005, 08:09 PM
NOCBOX Offline

I have same chipset on a Compaq V2000 I wont to use the native display of 1280x768 i can not seem to get this it works perfectly on ubutu but not fedora any ideas ?
Old 2nd June 2005, 03:43 AM
bootsmorris Offline

you have to upgrade your bios. i did that and ran linux but i cant get my wireless card working. It is a pcmcia 2 Wire 802.11g. if anyone can help me i would appriciate it i am a newbie!!!!
Old 3rd June 2005, 02:18 AM
jgcasey Offline

have similar problem - works fine with root but not on my user login.
Old 3rd June 2005, 06:34 PM
oldman_420 Offline

you could try writing your own ModeLine in xorg.conf for your resolution. This requires some specifc information about your LCD display (Vert refresh, horizontal refresh and something about the number of pixels it can draw in a second... forget the name (pixel dot frequency?) ... anyway, if you want to try theres some nice ModeLine generators around on the net.

HP Pavilion zd7260us, 17" WSXGA+, P4 3.2Ghz w/HT, 1G DDR 333 RAM, 64Mb GeForce FX Go 5700
Dual Fedora Core 3: custom 2.6.11-1.27_FC3 w/ Windows XP Pro
Registered Linux User #391381
Old 10th June 2005, 01:57 PM
Deester Offline

Hi,

Here is how to fix your problem.

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In the display modes for each colour depth setting add "1024x768" before 800x600

Write the changes to this file

Restart X server or reboot your machine

When you log back in goto Application -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution

Now select 1024x768

It should init the new res with no jumbledupness now there is a 1024x768 mode added to the X conf.

Deester.
Old 13th June 2005, 08:46 PM
Ric@rdo Offline

I had terrible trouble getting my lcd to display it's correct resolution, have a look here, it may be of some help...

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...ad.php?t=28852

It's a pleasure to look at now!! just wish I could find the same cure for the girlfriend! much cleaner than windoze ever was...
Old 10th April 2006, 06:06 PM
merengue Offline

Compaq V2000 Widescreen help!

I am going through the same problem with my wide screen laptop.

I am running windows XP, Abuntu and FC2 on the same machine, different partitions.

Abunto would not even boot the X system after installation, but it only took to delete one line from the Xconf file and that fixed the problem, now Abuntu handles the widescreen display perffectly.

FC2 on the other hand refuses to handle the widescreen, there are no options for it.

The compaq V2000 are a very inexpensive line of laptops and very popular, is there any body out there that can help on how to setup the widescreen resolution on any of the FCx distro?

Thanks,
USA
Old 10th April 2006, 08:23 PM
landoncz Offline

I don't know what kind of video hardware some of you have with your laptops, but if you have just on-board Intel graphics (like i915 graphics) or something, you need to patch your video bios before you can see a larger resolution. Simply editing the xorg.conf won't do any good. There is an rpm available from the freshrpms repo that will patch your video BIOS upon bootup. Then, you can edit your xorg.conf and you should be set. If you have freshrpms in your repo you can type:
Code:
yum install 855resolution
This may not be the solution for everyone, but if you have Intel graphics, this might help you...
100 Gig 7200 RPM

Code:
# rm -rf /dev/brain

Tags
incorrect, resolution, screen