Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:31 PM
tha_1_who_Trevs Offline

thinking of switching to Linux...

hey, i have to wipe my computer because Windows ME died or something, and i'm considering installing Fedora after. i'm very new to Linux, but i think i'm gonna try it out because i hate Microsoft as a company and i hate Macintosh as an operating system. my main question is: will i be able to install/run tha same programs? tha ones i use most are Cool Edit Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Alcohol 120%, GTA San Andreas, BitTorrent, and Creative MediaSource (for my Creative Zen Nomad mp3 player). when somebody like tha Participatory Culture Foundation puts out a program like tha Democracy Player, do i have to wait until they make a Linux version, or can i use a Windows or Mac version. this is probably a dumb question, but i don't know, and want to find out. also, i noticed that Fedora Core 5 is supposed to come out March 15th, so should i wait for that?
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:59 PM
neilloffhagen Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_1_who_Trevs
hey, i have to wipe my computer because Windows ME died or something, and i'm considering installing Fedora after. i'm very new to Linux, but i think i'm gonna try it out because i hate Microsoft as a company and i hate Macintosh as an operating system. my main question is: will i be able to install/run tha same programs? tha ones i use most are Cool Edit Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Alcohol 120%, GTA San Andreas, BitTorrent, and Creative MediaSource (for my Creative Zen Nomad mp3 player).
Well, yes and no. You won't be able to run the exact same apps, but in most cases will be able to find Linux versions. Some windows apps you may get running with usimg WINE, which is a type of emulator, that allows you to run some Windows apps under Linux. I say type of emulator as the acronym WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Quote:
when somebody like tha Participatory Culture Foundation puts out a program like tha Democracy Player, do i have to wait until they make a Linux version, or can i use a Windows or Mac version.
Same as above really. You might get in working under WINE. There are ither full emulatoprs that others here might be able to give you more info about.

Quote:
this is probably a dumb question, but i don't know, and want to find out.
No really dump questions. I think in most cases it's probably dump not to ask. But, first search these forums as you'll find that a lot of your questions/problems have been experienced and anwsered by others.

Quote:
also, i noticed that Fedora Core 5 is supposed to come out March 15th, so should i wait for that?
If you are brand new to Linux and are not desperate to get going it may be best to wait for Fedora Core 5

Thing to say is be patient. Linux is not windows and can't be approached in quite the same way. There will be a learning curve to go through. I'm still on my learning curve, but it's not quite so steep now And there is usually more than one way to do something.

Enjoy it all.

Neil.
Old 3rd March 2006, 09:00 PM
paul matthijsse Offline

Quote:
hey, i have to wipe my computer because Windows ME died or something, and i'm considering installing Fedora after. i'm very new to Linux, but i think i'm gonna try it out because i hate Microsoft as a company and i hate Macintosh as an operating system.
Not sure if hatred is the best motivation to switch to another OS. You will have to learn stuff. Same for me if I buy tommorow a Mac. BTW, I consider that Tiger interface as one of the best in the world, for the moment. Gnome comes in second.
Quote:
my main question is: will i be able to install/run tha same programs?
No. On Linux you run Linux apps. On Windows you run Windows apps. On the Mac your run Macintosh apps. Yes, as there are several possibilities to run Windows apps in Linux. 1. Use those apps that are available for both platforms. Like OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and some more. 2. Install VMware Player or a similar program to install Windows in a virtual machine on your Linux box. That way you can install and use the Windows apps like you mentioned. A bit slower, but on my machine (Athlon64, 1 gig of memory plus fc4/32) really useable. I must admit that I very seldom use Windows programs any more, because I manage to do nearly all the stuff with open source software on Linux. 3. Install Wine under Fedora, a Windows emulator that can run several apps, including (I tried that) IrfanView for the most part (still the best free imaging utility in the world).

Quote:
Cool Edit Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Alcohol 120%, GTA San Andreas, BitTorrent, and Creative MediaSource (for my Creative Zen Nomad mp3 player).
Cool Edit, that's a sound app isn't it? There exists something like that on GNU/Linux, forgot the name for the moment. For Photoshop you can use The Gimp, although without color management, if you need that. 16-bit processing is limited as well (if at all possible, I forgot, do not really use that). Bittorrent exist on Linux and works very well. The other apps I don't know about.

Quote:
i noticed that Fedora Core 5 is supposed to come out March 15th, so should i wait for that?
Only less than two weeks away! You can install the test 3 version of fc5 now and see what happens on your machine. Keep in mind that you will reinstall the official 5 release shortly, so keep your hard drive in the mean time as empty as possible! :-)

Cheers, Paul.
Old 3rd March 2006, 09:01 PM
pparks1 Offline

First, I hope you realize just how much different Linux is from Windows. If you are expecting something which is very similar you are going to be disappointed. There will be a learning curve.

Second, you often cannot run the same programs under Linux that you run under Windows. Some applications are offered for both products (for example, openoffice.org). Some applications can run ok under Wine or Crossover Office, but some do not. Also, apps like CrossOver are not free

Trying out Linux is a great idea, but if you have a second computer to try this on....I highly suggest it. You can find out what works, what doesn't, what you like and whether it will work for you.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 3rd March 2006, 09:33 PM
tomcat Offline

Or start with a live-CD like Knoppix first. Hate is not the best motivation for trying Linux, as already stated. First, you should perhaps reinstall Windows (one last time) and play with Knoppix until you are a bit comfy with the way Linux works. Things are quite different with Linux than with Windows. After some weeks, you can still decide if you want to switch to Linux. A live CD can be run completely from system RAM, thus it won't touch your harddisk unless you give the system the order to touch it.