Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th May 2008, 09:47 PM
s0m31john Offline

Wired Network acting strange

My Problem all started last night, no google pages were loading. I figured it was a DNS problem so I fiddled around with some DNS network settings (sorry can't remember exactly what I did, wasn't anything major I don't think), then when I restarted I was no longer online. There was a little red icon on my network icon on the top task bar.

No problem I thought, I went back to the network settings and changed the settings back to what they were before, my ISP's DNS servers instead of OpenDNS, then restarted. No luck.

I went into the network settings again and saw my ethernet card was "inactive" so I "activated" it.

The internet started working.

Now I have to do that same thing every time I boot, and the network icon at the top still says I'm not connected, with a little red icon on it, when I know I am.

I'm not sure where to start, I was hoping there was a way I could reset all my network settings back to like they were after a fresh install because it worked flawlessly then.

If you could tell me how to do that, or help me troubleshoot it would be great.

Thanks, John.

Network Card: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Wireless Card: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card
Fedora 9

I'll do some outputs from the terminal if you'd like, I'm on Windows now, so let me know so I can boot into Fedora.
Old 16th May 2008, 09:53 PM
hyperspace Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0m31john
My Problem all started last night, no google pages were loading. I figured it was a DNS problem so I fiddled around with some DNS network settings (sorry can't remember exactly what I did, wasn't anything major I don't think), then when I restarted I was no longer online. There was a little red icon on my network icon on the top task bar.

No problem I thought, I went back to the network settings and changed the settings back to what they were before, my ISP's DNS servers instead of OpenDNS, then restarted. No luck.

I went into the network settings again and saw my ethernet card was "inactive" so I "activated" it.

The internet started working.

Now I have to do that same thing every time I boot, and the network icon at the top still says I'm not connected, with a little red icon on it, when I know I am.

I'm not sure where to start, I was hoping there was a way I could reset all my network settings back to like they were after a fresh install because it worked flawlessly then.

If you could tell me how to do that, or help me troubleshoot it would be great.

Thanks, John.

Network Card: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Wireless Card: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card
Fedora 9

I'll do some outputs from the terminal if you'd like, I'm on Windows now, so let me know so I can boot into Fedora.
Try the workaround in this thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=188433

Registered Linux User #329061
Old 16th May 2008, 10:37 PM
s0m31john Offline

Problem,
When I try "system-config-services" as root I get the following and nothing opens.

Code:
No protocol specified
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/system-config-services", line 28, in <module>
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 79, in <module>
    _init()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 67, in _init
    _gtk.init_check()
RuntimeError: could not open display
Old 17th May 2008, 12:48 AM
robatino Offline

The way I fixed it is to leave NetworkManager enabled and running, but start system-config-network (System/Administration/Network), and for the ethernet interface, make sure both the boxes "Controlled by NetworkManager" and "Activate device when computer starts" are checked. The former is not checked by default which is what causes the problem.

Edit: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=446428

Last edited by robatino; 17th May 2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 17th May 2008, 01:11 AM
hyperspace Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by robatino
The way I fixed it is to leave NetworkManager enabled and running, but start system-config-network (System/Administration/Network), and for the ethernet interface, make sure both the boxes "Controlled by NetworkManager" and "Activate device when computer starts" are checked. The former is not checked by default which is what causes the problem.

Edit: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=446428
That is exactly what I did and it did not work. So, long story, short, I followed the information in the said thread and I am still postin' ! But, I did not use "system-config-services". I used System -> Administration -> Network after disabled the said services in the that thread.

Hmmm...

I was working stricly with wlan0. But, should that matter...

Registered Linux User #329061
Old 17th May 2008, 01:24 AM
s0m31john Offline

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=446428
Quote:
Description of problem: No network running on a frest instaall

As I stated, my networking worked perfectly fine on a fresh install, it only messed up when I messed with some DNS and other settings.

I'm going to do some more tinkering.

I'll take any suggestions.
Old 17th May 2008, 02:57 AM
s0m31john Offline

Hey guys,

I got "system-config-services" to open, all I did was reboot and it worked, and disabled/started the stuff I needed to.

Looks like everything is working now. I was just confused before, I was thinking Network and Network Manager were the same thing, oops.
Old 18th May 2008, 08:09 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

Could you provide a step, please? Maybe your method might work on my x86_64 system.

Tags
acting, network, strange, wired