Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th June 2008, 12:35 AM
sidebrnz Offline

Lockups coming back from xscreensaver

I've been using xscreensaver for some time now, with no trouble. I could easily let my box go without rebooting for over a week at a time. Recently, I got a new nVidea card with 128meg RAM. I had no problems getting the drivers installed, and soon switched over from metacity to compiz. Now, several times a day, the computer doesn't come back properly from the screensaver. I have a mouse cursor, but it's in front of the last image the screensaver showed and my hard disk light is constantly lit. Sometimes, I can use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to another screen and log in as root. Using top, there's no obvious reason for this. If I kill Xorg, I can go back to my original screen and restart the server, but of course, that logs me out. Killing compiz isn't quite as drastic, but once my session comes up, I can't actually do anything, so I end up logging out and back in anyway. (Once in a while, I have to do that twice, because the first time I don't get any icons.) At least once a day, i have to reboot my computer to get control back, and if I wanted to reboot that often, I'd have stuck with Windows, wouldn't I? Has anybody else seen this or have any suggestions. (Please, don't suggest hardware upgrades, as I'm unemployed and broke; the new card was a gift.) Oh: before I forget, I'm running Fedora 9 and have all the latest updates.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 14th June 2008, 04:35 PM
sidebrnz Offline

More data: at a friend's suggestion, I removed xscreensaver and installed gnome-screensaver. The only change is that it got worse! Now, it hangs about two out of three times when it tries to go into power-saver mode. I can't even turn that off because bringing up the control panel hangs the computer, forcing Yet Another Reboot. I was forced to remove all screensavers from my computer in an attempt to get things under control. If anybody has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it. I don't know if the new kernel caused it, or my video card upgrade, but I point out that all was well until after both events.

Old 19th June 2008, 11:32 PM
sidebrnz Offline

Well, I've solved the issue. Sort of. I found an nVidia forum that had twelve pages worth of threads on screensaver issues, most of them Just Like Mine. It's a long-known issue with the nVidia drivers. I don't even have any idea if they're working on it or not. Posting here so that anybody else with this issue doesn't butt their head against it like I have. Just use Add/Remove or Yummex to remove everything having to do with either gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver because they'll both do it.

Tags
coming, lockups, xscreensaver