Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th August 2008, 12:44 AM
mdwfed Offline

MySQL permission problems

I believe I have Fedora Core 6 and I know mysql 5.03. I have started the mysql server and I am trying to install openconf. I have permission problems creating a database. Something about ''@'localhost' and permissions. This happens even when I su to "mysql" user or try to use the --user parameter. Any ideas how to fix the problems? the mysql directors seem to be properly installed with mysql user.
Old 9th August 2008, 05:47 AM
savage Offline

Have a read through this and this.
Old 10th August 2008, 11:43 PM
mdwfed Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage
Have a read through this and this.
I've done that now, but now turning PHP error messages on, the mysql functions aren't being recognized. Somehow I'm thinking it is easier to install the software from scratch then to use the pre-installed Fedora stuff....

Is there a way to get PHP to recognize mysql functions without reinstalling???

This is the PHP error:
Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /usr/local/www/cpsc/openconf/openconf/chair/install-db.php on line 24

Mary

Last edited by mdwfed; 10th August 2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:39 AM
savage Offline

Try:
Code:
yum install php-mysql
Old 11th August 2008, 02:14 PM
mdwfed Offline

I am working on that now. Will the database user be the user who owns that set of web site files or the user for apache?

Mary
Old 11th August 2008, 02:43 PM
markkuk Offline

MySQL has its own account management system that has nothing to do with Linux user accounts. Your database user isn't any Linux user, even if the MySQL username happens to be the same as some Linux username.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:37 AM
savage Offline

As markkuk said, MySQL and system users are completely separate, see the links above for how to create a new user for your PHP application.

I wouldn't recommend using the root user incase your app has any vulnerabilities, create a restricted user that only has access to the databases/tables that it needs.

If your not comfortable using the mysql command line, have a look for "MySQL Administrator" and "MySQL Query Browser" on the mysql site. Not sure if they're available on Linux (I'd guess at yes), but they provide a nice click-through GUI to setup users and databases/tables.

Edit: See here to download them

Last edited by savage; 12th August 2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12th August 2008, 06:19 PM
mdwfed Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage
As markkuk said, MySQL and system users are completely separate, see the links above for how to create a new user for your PHP application.

I wouldn't recommend using the root user incase your app has any vulnerabilities, create a restricted user that only has access to the databases/tables that it needs.

If your not comfortable using the mysql command line, have a look for "MySQL Administrator" and "MySQL Query Browser" on the mysql site. Not sure if they're available on Linux (I'd guess at yes), but they provide a nice click-through GUI to setup users and databases/tables.

Edit: See here to download them
Command line is fine, but my first attempt to create another user and use it failed. But then maybe I typed something wrong. Root does access the database now though. Thanks.

Mary

Tags
mysql, permission, problems