Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th September 2008, 12:51 AM
marko Offline

looking for a perl or Tk widget for easily displaying text data as a table

I have some whlte space delimited text data files that are used for some simulations, the first line just labels the meaning of each column but since the numbers are of different types and widths (some are just a single digit ints, some are doubles/floats) the columns don't line up well and it's hard to read. Even within a given column the size of the numbers can go from single to multiple digits so I'm trying to find a justified column display format.

I would like to find a Tk or perl module/widget that can read in such a file and display the columns in a justified way line a spreadsheet so the data can be interpreted easier. Can someone suggest a widget or module for this? I've installed:

perl-Text-TabularDisplay
perl-Tk
perl-Text-SimpleTable

I'd prefer not to use a spreadsheet since I'd like to make this into something I could check into cvs so other developers at work can use it.
but still haven't found what I want. These files are up to 44 columns wide and thousands of lines long so a simple display only tool would be best (there's no need to change or edit the data)
thanks,
Mark

Last edited by marko; 30th September 2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 30th September 2008, 07:23 AM
daverj Offline

http://tktable.sourceforge.net/

Tk's widget set is really poor and the fact that it does not use native rendering makes it look ugly on all platforms. If you are doing some serious gui stuff, I would suggest a different widget set. Personally, I use wxPython. Easy to learn and an incredibly rich widget set.

davidj
Old 30th September 2008, 03:20 PM
ibbo Offline

gtk+ for me
Linux user #349545
(GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H

Tags
data, displaying, easily, perl, table, text, widget