Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th October 2008, 04:15 AM
TheMadIndian Offline

preupgrade f8 to f9

I ran the preupgrade on my laptop and it gave me an error message there wasnt enough room for stage2.img but would download later this was after it had downloaded all other packages over the wireless connection. I plugged into my lan so it could download stage2 and continue the installation after reboot and all appeared to go well. Upon rebooting after the installation completed my grub menu defaulted to my F8 install and had an entry for upgrade to f9 this being the third time I've done an upgrade to f9 this way I though it strange and reran the upgrade which didnt do anything this time and I was greeted with the same menu. I booted to runlevel 1 under the f8 option and was greated with the prompt and Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) rpm -qa | grep fc9 reveals many packages but there is not system.map or config or initrd or vmlinuz file for fc9 nor is there anything under /lib/modules for fc9

there is no kernel for f9 installed, if I do yum install kernel it does attempt to download the f9 kernel but says the current f8 one is newer

I have a tftp server with the f9 iso but that completes immediately and I am no better off. What can I do at this point without losing data or my configuration?
Old 5th October 2008, 04:30 AM
Demz

your better off downloading the DvD Version an then making a clean install.. that PreUpgrade is Dodgy
Old 5th October 2008, 04:31 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Maybe try installing the F9 kernel with 'yum --allowdowngrade ...' switch?

V
Old 5th October 2008, 04:36 AM
TheMadIndian Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post

V
so boot back in to the f8 option and try that? I keep two kernels so should I go back one kernel and try that since it will want to remove the kernel during install? this way preserving the most current f8 kernel just in case?
Old 5th October 2008, 04:44 AM
TheMadIndian Offline

doesnt matter still tries to remove the 2.6.26.5-28 kernel instead of the 3-14
Old 5th October 2008, 04:51 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Edit /etc/yum.conf and change installonly_limit from 2 to 3 (or 4 or 5).

V
Old 5th October 2008, 05:04 AM
TheMadIndian Offline

Quote:

V
Thanks that worked, only issue is I lost my desktop effects but thats a very small price to pay

thanks again
Old 5th October 2008, 05:10 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

I just installed preupgrade on my second box (F8) last night in preparation for an upgrade to F9, and was wondering how it would work out. Please let us know how everything turns out after you've had a chance to check it out thoroughly.

Regards,
V
Old 5th October 2008, 05:53 AM
TheMadIndian Offline

Quote:
I just installed preupgrade on my second box (F8) last night in preparation for an upgrade to F9, and was wondering how it would work out. Please let us know how everything turns out after you've had a chance to check it out thoroughly.

Regards,
V
This is the third time I've used it to upgrade from F8 to F9 and the first time I ran into issues, I've found it to be much cleaner than changing repos and using yum to upgrade as it doesnt leave packages behind that will eventually cause conflicts during updates

Only thing I had to do was uninstall the kriehn rpm for f8 and install the new repo for enlightenment after I got the kernel on with your assistance, because it wouldnt allow the installation of fedora-release but since this one was problematic I'll report back again tomorrow after some thorough use
Old 5th October 2008, 09:50 AM
LDC Offline

fresh install is the only choice

Linux Registered User #476391
Old 5th October 2008, 04:37 PM
TheMadIndian Offline

UPDATE

Booting this morning -
Cups was throwing errors on booting
fstab had changed and my ntfs and cifs mounts were gone, desktop-effects still not functioning properly, 311 updates waiting (after I had patched it fully last night). I ran the updates and after rebooting cups is working and desktop-effects were back.

One thing I noticed is the package manager is pup and not packageit 30 mins of running and working from the system it seems well and is actually performing noticeably faster than it did under F8

If anything changes I'll post an update
Old 5th October 2008, 04:46 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Thanks for the update. I'm guessing that PUP instead of PackageKit since it was an upgrade and not a fresh install. Probably for the best anyway....

So I think I'll try the preupgrade on my spare F8 OS soon.

Thanks and Regards,
V

Tags
preupgrade