Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th December 2008, 12:05 AM
Tterrag Offline

Unhappy Problem dual booting Win xp and Fedora 10

Hello i want to set up a dual boot with Win xp on my 250gig and Fedora 10 on my 80gig hard drive. I installed windows on my 250gig and i installed Fedora Core 7 on my 80gig and all was successful and i could boot to either os. I then decided i wanted to change from FC7 to Fedora 10 so i burned fedora 10 to dvd and installed it and got all the way to the boot screen but when i try to boot to fedora 10 i get Error 17:cannot mount selected partition, and when i try to boot to windows i get Error 13: Invalid or unsupported excutable format. If i reinstall Fedora Core 7 over 10 it solves the problem and i can then boot perfectly again to either operating system. I think it may be something to do with the grub boot loader but im not sure. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 16th December 2008, 12:19 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
If you physically disconnect your 80gig hard drive and boot your PC does windows boot without issues?

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 16th December 2008, 12:33 AM
Tterrag Offline

I disconnected my 80 gig and now it just says Grub boot error and i no longer have the boot choices.
Old 16th December 2008, 09:51 AM
brr872002 Offline

Boot with your XP CD when prompts Repair or install go to repair mode

run commands
fix mbr
fix boot

This may be IDE and SATA problem with F10 ,
Now you disconect your 250 giga sata , and install F10 change boot order to your 80 gb HDD through bios setup

connect SATA HDD boot to F10

edit grub.conf file

add
title Windows
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Tags
booting, dual, fedora, problem, win