shankar_das777 Offline

Exclamation hardware RAID1 rebuild - intel matrix,

System config:
Intel Xeon quadra
s300ah intel mother board
2 G ECC corrected RAM
SATA 2 X 750 G HDD
SATA 2 X 360 G HDD

I have installed Fedora 9 as well as fedora 10 on it....
fedora 9:
it detects the RAID as the disk mapper shows only one 360G DISK and one 750 G disk... but if you remove one and do some work and plug it back the build status says rebuild within OS from BIOS for ICH7/ICH5 how to do it.....

fedora 10:
it does not shows any sign that it detected the RAID so it treats the disks as individual... but if you remove one and do some work and plug it back the build status says rebuild within OS from BIOS for ICH7/ICH5 how to do it.....

"I don't want linux software RAID facility to be installed instead." is there any command to rebuild it. There is a driver in http://iswraid.sourceforge.net/ and some drivers came with the OEM cds... how to use it without a GUI...

is there any GUI support for RAID1 controller for ICH5/ICH7 for intel matrix manager for linux
Old 19th December 2008, 08:00 PM
LBCoder Offline

If you take a look at that link you provided, you should read how it talks about software raid and dmraid. That device is NOT HARDWARE RAID. It is FAKE hardware raid, commonly referred to as FAKERAID.

Each of software raid and REAL hardware raid have advantages and disadvantages. Fakeraid has NONE of the advantages of EITHER and ALL of the DISADVANTAGES OF BOTH.

IN ADDITION, your disks are SIZE MISMATCHED, which means that IF you use hardware or fake raid, you would be restricted to JBOD or to using only the first 360 GB from the 750 GB disk. Software raid is partition based, so using software raid will allow you to use the full capacity of BOTH disks in typical raidsets using the smaller disk with an equal amount of the larger disk WHILE STILL being able to use the balance of the larger disk.

I suggest zeroing the disks (to erase the fakeraid metadata) and using PROPER SOFTWARE RAID.
Old 20th December 2008, 12:01 PM
shankar_das777 Offline

Exclamation RAID1 on fedora 10

Thanks for the reply....

actually i have enabled RAID1 in my BIOS of S300AH motherboard with intel matrix manager. I have linked 2 disks of same capacity and presently has 2 RAID1 configured.... one pair for linux OS with some samba share space (360G) and one for DICOM image server (750G)....

fedora 10 shows all the disks without any noticeable change in the DRUID view while installation...
after installation normally {without enabling software RAID} it is showing the second disk of the RAID pair as empty... ie RAID1 was not active or some problem somewhere... But while i installed fedora 9. it detected the BIOS RAID1 and only one hard disk was shown as diskmapper_............* although fedora 9 didnot allow to be installed on to the system with two RAID1 enabled in BIOS... in the step 3 where the DRUID config has to appear.... it would hang ...

I am not an expert user.... but i can perform the instructions whatever you say and give you the uotput

Last edited by shankar_das777; 20th December 2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 20th December 2008, 12:01 PM
shankar_das777 Offline

Exclamation RAID1 on fedora 10

Thanks for the reply....

actually i have enabled RAID1 in my BIOS of S300AH motherboard with intel matrix manager. I have linked 2 disks of same capacity and presently has 2 RAID1 configured.... one pair for linux OS with some samba share space (360G) and one for DICOM image server (750G)....

fedora 10 shows all the disks without any noticeable change in the DRUID view while installation...
after installation normally {without enabling software RAID} it is showing the second disk of the RAID pair as empty... ie RAID1 was not active or some problem somewhere... But while i installed fedora 9. it detected the BIOS RAID1 and only one hard disk was shown as diskmapper_............* although fedora 9 didnot allow to be installed on to the system with two RAID1 enabled in BIOS... in the step 3 where the DRUID config has to appear.... it would hang ...

I am not an expert user.... but i can perform the instructions whatever you say and give you the output
Old 20th December 2008, 12:26 PM
markkuk Offline

Installation to dmraid arrays doesn't work correctly in F10, this is a known bug:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=474697
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=471737
Old 20th December 2008, 05:34 PM
LBCoder Offline

Read my lips... It doesn't matter what you do in the bios, you DO NOT HAVE HARDWARE RAID!
You have a cheap $150 mainboard. Cheap boards do NOT HAVE HARDWARE RAID.
For hardware raid, think OVER $500 with an SAS controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar_das777 View Post
Thanks for the reply....

I am not an expert user.... but i can perform the instructions whatever you say and give you the uotput
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:23 PM
shankar_das777 Offline

thanks markkuk & LBCoder.....

so, please suggest me what should i do with my system to enable RAID1... fedora9 or fedora10 should i enable in the BIOS or not..... please tell me what should i do step by step........

added: GUI apache conf doesnot work if i enable two IP to listen it says couldn't bind ........ what to do... i have tried adding lines Listen XXX.XX.X,XXX:80 still same prob.... my ifconfig shows correct info with an unwanted virbr0... and /etc/sysconfig/network-.../ifgconfig-eth0 & eth1 shows correct gateway, netmask, ip

someone please help me:
1. how to make fedora 9 detect both pair of RAID1... [it detects only one array]
2. which is better. Intel matrix manager or LSI
3. LSI has an option to check integrity & consistency
[will it update the RAID1 disks after removing and replacing later, is it same as rebuilding option]
4. how to rebuild with Intel matrix manager.....
5. how to rebuild raid with fedora 9....
[any books or ..... docs regarding it too will help me....]
6. since fedora 9 detects intel matrix manager, if i upgrade to fedora 10 will it have same problem like fedora 10 fresh install...??
7. is the fedora 10 bug fixed https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=474697
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=471737

8. can i download fedora 10 once more and try and fresh install. will it be that bug free.???

Thanks a lot to the contributors...

Last edited by shankar_das777; 22nd December 2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added some more comments

Tags
hardware, intel, matrix, raid1, rebuild