Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2008, 11:32 PM
Bill99 Offline

Angry Terminal Compiler doesnt function (Core 10)

I have a text file that when i open it it says that its an executable file (its c++ code so it should be)and it gives me some options, if i pick "run in terminal" the terminal window opens and then closes right away (if i pick "run" nothing happens). I know its not just the program running its course because the program requires user input to complete. I also know the program should work as it does work on my win xp comp running borland 5.5.

Im running fedora 10, and im a complete noob to linux. Im also not a very experienced programmer but like i said the program works on my other machine.
Old 21st December 2008, 11:53 PM
stevea Online

Whaaaa !!! C++ *SOURCE* code is NOT executable and SHOULD NOT be set as executable according to the file system.

Many Windows based dumass utilities like to make source code executable.
It's a *big* F'ing mistake -
It's an error -
You are fortunate that it only exits immediately instead of wiping your files out.
==

1/ Set and c++ source files to NON-executable like this:
chmod -x foo.c++

2/ If you want to compile C++ source into an executable *binary* try the
g++ command. Then set the launcher to run the BINARY.

3/ "Run in terminal" is used for programs or scripts that require terminal interaction.
For example if you want to run "bc" or "grep" which are non-GUI tools, then the
script should have a launcher that uses the "run in terminal" option.

4/Example
[root@nidula ~]# cat >yo.cc
#include <iostream>
int main() { std::cout << "Yello, cruel world\n"; return 0; }
[root@nidula ~]# g++ yo ./yo.cc
[root@nidula ~]# ./yo
Yello, cruel world

Then put that ("/root/yo") in a "run in terminal" launcher.
as a test case.

Last edited by stevea; 22nd December 2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 26th December 2008, 09:12 PM
Bill99 Offline

I did what you said and it created yo.cc However i cant run it because it says it belongs to "root" not me, which is asinine because i am the only user of the system... so if you could tell me how to turn off all these permission issues that would be swell, im tired of trying to access things and haveing it say that i cant even though i am the one who created it and am the only one using the computer...
Old 26th December 2008, 09:28 PM
JohnVV Offline

if the file IS A SAFE ONE,AND I DO MEAN A SAFE file for you to run ( ie YOU WROTE it)
then do this because it is not a c source file but a shell script
open the terminal and do this
Code:
cd /to where/the/file/is
sh ./FileName
for example i have a nice script to cut a 32,768x16384 pixel image into a gruop of 512x512 px tiles
and it is in the system path so i do this
Code:
cd /usr/opt/PlanetMaps/Moon/Clem_NIR_V0.1
v_vt moon.v 512 png
the program name is "v_vt " fallowed by the options

Quote:
I have a text file that when i open it it says that its an executable file (its c++ code so it should be)and...
WHAT is the file, i am assuming you did not wright it ?
Were did you get it ?
and what is it supposed ti do ?
post the code or a link to the file
Quote:
I also know the program should work as it does work on my win xp comp running borland 5.5.
so is this a bit of MS Windows code you want to build on a linux box ?
this may be easy or imposable without a FULL rewright
post the code
to build a single c file program
Code:
gcc -o file file.c
g++ -o file file.cpp

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10

Last edited by JohnVV; 26th December 2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:51 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill99 View Post
I also know the program should work as it does work on my win xp comp running borland 5.5.

Im running fedora 10, and im a complete noob to linux. Im also not a very experienced programmer but like i said the program works on my other machine.
You can't run a program compiled for one architecture and OS on a different platform or architecture.

Additionally, you say it is Borland C++, unless it's very, very simple one, it won't run on any system without Borland compiler meaning that you'll have to re-write it to ANSI if you want to run it on multiple platforms.

Either way, you need to compile the source for each OS/ architecture before you can run it. On Linux, the default and de-facto compiler is GCC, but you can install any other compiler to your liking (I think even Borland has Linux version of their compiler).

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 27th December 2008, 10:56 AM
markkuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill99 View Post
I did what you said and it created yo.cc However i cant run it because it says it belongs to "root" not me
You should have created the file using your normal user account, not as root. There's no reason to edit/compile software as root.
Old 27th December 2008, 05:46 PM
JohnVV Offline

google/linux " gcc tutorial"
http://www.google.com/linux
http://www.google.com/linux?q=gcc+tu...rch&hl=en&sa=2
http://cs.acadiau.ca/~jdiamond/comp2...torialGcc.html
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialC++.html

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10

Tags
compiler, core, function, terminal