Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th February 2009, 07:38 PM
savage Offline

How to know if my ISP is dropping packets

Ok everyone knows about bandwidth throttling for BitTorrent, I'm at the moment on BT, this is soon to change, and I may have found my booster to get out of their contract quicker.

BT throttle bit-torrent, fine, lovely. However during throttled times, I can't access my web servers control panel - it uses port 4643 with SSL, and I'm suspecting that this is because BT's filters are dropping the packets: it's unknown traffic no an unknown port.

I also can't login to Test Drive Unlimited - a royal pain when your game profile is online OR offline, and you cant play the game "offline" with the online profile if it can't connect.

Is there a way with wireshark that I can detect packets being dropped? I know little about Wireshark, other than checking HTTP responses for web apps I build. I have a CentOS gateway that my connection runs through, so can happily run Wireshark on that.

I've had friends check (on different ISPs), they can access the control panel and connect to the game, they could.

If I can prove that this is BT's throttling, then their "ideal for gamers" package isn't ideal for gamers, and I can tell them to shove their contract up their backsides, get my MAC code and get to a real ISP.

Thanks Savage

p.s. That was a semi-rant too, sorry about that.