Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th March 2009, 12:00 AM
enemyphoenix Offline

Question Fedora Mono Cluster Discussion

Hi, I'm trying to think of a better way for us to admin our racks of blades for an application running on top of mono.

Right now we use fog to make an image of a working setup and then dd it to the rest of the blades and use scripts to setup the blade independent stuff. But fog doesn't exactly fit our needs and has given us headaches in the past.

What I would like to do is something like this. Take a blade that we have and "publish" it's filesystem & kernel to a directory on an nfs/tftp server, that will either allow other blades to boot it as a live system (for testing) or copy the filesystem and kernel over and run it from the blade's harddrive as a production system. I know this isn't an easy project but I would prefer to us simple tools and services and some scripting rather than a packaged solutions such as Fog or DRBL. This is because my knowledge of linux is nowhere near what it needs to be and I figured this would be a good project to get more familiar.

I've starting with trying to figure out how to correctly export the filesystem and kernel of the blades. I've started delving into some of the scripts that their using in this project http://i.cs.hku.hk/~cmlee/slim/ to see if I can figure out what's going on, because it sounds exactly like something we need. After that I planned to get real familiar with with tools used to make live Fedora CDs as well the scripts that install them to the harddrive, because I have a feeling they'll hold the key.

In this thread I'll look for advice as well post my progress.

Tags
cluster, mono, pxeboot