Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd March 2009, 09:17 PM
leigel3 Offline

Ardour on PPC iMac

Hello~

I have an iMac G5, the last PPC model before they were release with iSight. I installed FC10 in hopes of running Ardour 2, as home recording is the only capability I care for my computer to have. I don't like Garageband so much and, even more so, I adore the economic philosophy behind linux. Anyways to get to the point:

Upon intalling Fedora the only way I could get sound out of this machine was to select _Sound by Layout (OSS)_ in Sound Preferences. I have a vague understanding of the difference in ALSA and OSS, mainly that OSS is older, and I don't mind this, so long as it works, and for playing .ogg's and .mp3's, there are no problems.

However, when I start up Ardour, and attend to the Audio Setup tab, no matter what I select for Driver, "ALSA" or "OSS", there is nothing for me to select under _Interface_, nor under _Input Device_ or _Output Device_ . When I select OSS, I receive a message: [Error]: No devices found for driver "OSS".

Perhaps there is a better sound driver for the onboard sound card that is inside this iMac but I am not highly experienced with the terminal, and so I am not even sure what kind of chipset in onboard. And I can't seem to find any documentation for old models on the apple website.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, but I am determined to keep with linux so long as I can get Ardour to function. I am going to post a copy of this on the Ardour forums also, but I was hoping that someone here may be able to help. I already owe you gratitude for reading the entirety of this post.

~Leighton
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:18 PM
tiresia Offline

I don't know your hardware so good. Anyway, you should get info about your soundcard running in a terminal 'lspci'
About Ardour: did you start Jack before starting ardour?
Old 24th March 2009, 12:03 AM
leigel3 Offline

lspci returned:

0000:f0:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. U3L AGP Bridge
0000:f0:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
0001:00:00.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. U4 PCIe
0001:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Shasta PCI Bridge
0001:00:02.0 PCI bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Shasta PCI Bridge
0001:00:03.0 PCI bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Shasta PCI Bridge
0001:01:01.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
0001:01:07.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. Shasta Mac I/O
0001:01:0b.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
0001:01:0b.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
0001:01:0b.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
0001:02:0c.0 IDE interface: Broadcom K2 SATA
0001:02:0d.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. Shasta IDE
0001:02:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Apple Computer Inc. Shasta Firewire
0001:03:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. Shasta (Sun GEM)
Nothing there strikes me as audio... ?

I installed Jack. As far as running it, I see no way to run it in the GUI... perhaps there's a way to via the terminal?
Old 24th March 2009, 04:23 AM
leigel3 Offline

I had it working for a moment. I used Qjackctl to start Jack and then I opened Ardour and it worked fine. I was thrilled,

Then... I can't open Qjackctl anymore. I have no idea why!? I click on it and it appears in the panel for a brief moment and then disappears. There is nothing in the System Log either... ???

Any ideas?
Old 24th March 2009, 04:27 AM
leigel3 Offline

Also, I just checked System Monitor, and everytime I click Qjackctl, a new process opens, sleeping and at all zeros, but nothing...
Old 24th March 2009, 08:24 AM
tiresia Offline

Can you find your iMac here?
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ndex-imac.html

I have Debian and Ubuntu. Anyway you should find jack in your Applications.
To run jack in a terminal, type 'qjackctl' There you should get also, what is going on.

I would try to get ALSA working. Try loading the module snd_powermac
Code:
modprobe snd_powermac
Check also alsamixer (in a terminal) and the volume control in Gnome (if you have it)
Old 30th March 2009, 09:19 PM
ogetbilo Offline
RPMFusion Dev

I recommend using JACK as a backend for ardour since it has the lowest latency and qjackctl interface can be used to configure the JACK setup.

Check if you have qjackctl running

Code:
ps aux |grep qjackctl
If it is running but unresponsive, just kill it and restart.

By the way, ardour-2.7.1 is currently in the testing repo, and it works just fine. I will update the Fedora version to 2.8 very soon (as soon as the SLV2 package gets built).

Thnigs that rule: Angelina, TKT, Linux, Supergravity, Alcohol...
Old 30th March 2009, 09:36 PM
tiresia Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogetbilo View Post
By the way, ardour-2.7.1 is currently in the testing repo, and it works just fine. I will update the Fedora version to 2.8 very soon (as soon as the SLV2 package gets built).
Thanks for your answer and your work!
Old 30th March 2009, 11:51 PM
leigel3 Offline

Yes!!! I finally got Qjackctl to open. I don't believe I did anything to fix it. I set it up to open at start-up and it opens everytime. I am not sure why this worked, but it did. So, everything is working! I still have to use OSS, though, as I can not get ALSA to work, but OSS seems to sound okay to me.

Thanks, eveyone, so much for their help!

Tags
ardour, imac, ppc