Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th June 2009, 02:53 AM
sonoran Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
OSSv4 is not entirely free software, which is one major reason it's not in Fedora.
"Release notes for Open Source OSS version v4.1-build1052
What is the open sourced version?
It is an open source version of the Open Sound System (OSS) sound subsystem
software released under the GPL license. The only difference between the
"commercial" version and the open source version of OSS is the commercial
version contains certain drivers that contain code encumbered under NDA."

The kernel points you make I do not really understand, but I'm looking into it. I ran into problems trying to re-install PulseAudio in F11 to test it again. What I'm trying to figure out is the process of how modules get loaded (or not) into the Fedora kernel. It is nowhere near as straightforward as in Arch, where I can simply put modules in the rc.conf array, or take them out. But that is a different discussion.

My plan was to change the libsamplerate algorithm and see if it affected sound quality - thank you for pointing that out to me - but I will have to wait until I get F12 going to try PulseAudio again.

I think what I should do is just stop responding to posts about audio issues in Fedora. Most users seem to be able to find solutions to their PulseAudio problems. I appreciate your time spent on this but no doubt you have better things to do.

Later--

Tags
broken, oss, pulse, support