Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th June 2009, 03:36 AM
zirb Offline

Share thunderbird profile over NFS btwn Fedora nd Windows

Hi, I'm running Thunderbird 2 on both a Fedora and Windows box. Does anybody have any experience sharing the profile, mail and calendar data on NFS for both (not at the same time)? I'd like to share preferences as well, not just the data and accounts.
Thanks.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:40 AM
sej7278 Offline

dunno about sharing, but i just copied over my c:\documents and settings\blah\thunderbird directory from windows to linux and it worked fine - as long as you don't have any plugins installed (so calendar might not work).

think that was back in the tbird 1.5 days though, i'm 100% linux/macosx these days.

as far as nfs goes - how you gonna do that on windows? i think there's only very expensive commercial nfs clients on windows, unless that microsoft tools for unix pack thing includes one; samba might be a better option.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:55 PM
zirb Offline

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I have a ReadyNAS which can export a share as both CIFS/SMB and NFS. I tried simply moving the ~/.thunderbird/$PROFILE to NFS, but I'm having issues loading the Lightning Add on. Since all of my data is simply synced to Gmail with Lightning+Provider for Google Calendar and Zindus for address book, I think I may just keep them separate, although I did put the prefs.js file onto the share and symbolically linked prefs.js from Linux (ln -s) and Windows (mklink).
Similar issue here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1251810
Thx

Last edited by zirb; 13th June 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Tags
btwn, fedora, nfs, profile, share, thunderbird, windows