Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th July 2009, 12:46 PM
CoccoBill Offline

Cannot boot from LiveUSB - 16GB USB FAT32

Hi all

I successfully created a LiveUSB disk on a 1Gb USB stick, with as much persistent storage as available ( approx 447MB ).

I now wish to have a larger persistent storage to install additional software, and created a LiveUSB using a 16GB stick, formatted as FAT32. However, all my attempts failed because my PC would not boot from it. My first attempt was with a persistent storage as big as possible, and I then decreaded to 4GB only. However, even with 4GB the PC would not boot from the USB.
I read on this forum that it should be possible to have a 4GB persistent storage, and I read on the Wiki that the largest size should actually be no more than 2047MB ( 2GB ).
So, what is holding my PC from booting with the LiveUSB ? It works fine with the 1GB USB.

Tnx
Old 28th July 2009, 01:02 PM
JEO Offline

How old is the BIOS of your PC? Older BIOSes don't work well with booting from larger sizes of USB flash drives because they didn't exist at the time the BIOS was made. So look to see if your motherboard has the latest BIOS.
Old 28th July 2009, 03:47 PM
CoccoBill Offline

Well Done

That fixed the issue.I downloaded the latest version of the BIOS from the manufacturer website, Toshiba.
I can now boot using the LiveUSB installed to my 16GB stick. I set 4GB as persistent storage, as I understand this is the largest size I can have. It should be enough to install some additional software.

I understand it is possible to full install the LiveCD to a USB, as any normal disk. However, I would like to understand if it possible to do it also from a LiveUSB or better from the LiveCD.

Last edited by CoccoBill; 28th July 2009 at 04:16 PM.

Tags
16gb, boot, fat32, liveusb, usb