Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th July 2009, 10:28 PM
gizmo4321 Offline

http://www.fedoraforums.org/total system crash with cisco VPN

Not sure if this should be under networking or here. It's a networking issue, but it's on 64-bit F11.

Computer is a Lenovo T61p laptop. Of primary interest here is that it has the network controller for the wired network is the Intel 82566MM ethernet controller, and the wireless adapater is the Intel Pro/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN (information from lspci command)

Anyway, recently upgraded to F11 from F10 (using 'preupgrade'). Upgrade went smoothly, and overall I've been happy with F11.

Under F10, I've been using the vpnclient software to connect to the company's Cisco PIX VPN. It has worked just fine.

Under F11, whenever I attempt to connect to the company VPN, the computer will hard lock with a flashing caps-lock as soon as I send any traffic over the VPN, but only if I connect over my wired interface. If I use the wireless interface, everything works fine.

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this issue? is there a patch for the vpnclient software that I need to compile and install?
Old 8th July 2009, 09:18 AM
sealselle Offline

I have the same problem with Cisco VPn and 64 bit. No problem with Fedora 10.
After that I have start rdesktop, the computer will totaly hang upp.
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:24 PM
jaustin Offline

Same happens for me with a Dell D620 in 32-bit. Cisco vpn works fine on wireless, but locks out the system when using wired connection. Very strange. There's also references to this on the tuxx-home site and elsewhere in fedoraforums but no answers as yet.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=224248

and

http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewtopic....ca422874702ccb

It sounds like there was a change in the network interface code specific to the wired connection which has yet to propagte to the wireless modules. Hopefully, there'll be a kernel release to resolve this soon, preferably one that doesn't break wireless vpn in the process :-)

I spent a lot of my time with the apani vpn client rewriting aspects so that it would work with later kernels and found that changing to the cisco one (when work changed) gave alot of reliability... don't really want to get back into rewriting with every kernel release.
Old 28th July 2009, 04:51 PM
mariuszs Offline

I have this problem too, and solved on kernel 2.6.29.6-213.fc11.x86_64 over WIFI connection. Now Cisco VPN works very well with certs.

Tags
cisco, crash, vpn