Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th July 2009, 01:03 PM
Kholdstate Offline

Post permissions question: no writing by users even when users in group with rwx on object

I created a shared drive for two users on a f11 system. I installed the physical drive, formatted it with ext4 and mounted it under /media/stuff.

I created the group "trusted" and changed permission on stuff with "chown root:trusted" and added both users to the group trusted (stuff has permission rwxrwxr-x). However this wouldn't allow any of the users in trusted to write to the directory. It does however work if I set the owner to any of the two users (both users can create files in the directory when I do this).

Is this in fact how permissions work or did I set something up wrong? Does a root owned directory or file with a different group than root that has write access still not give members of the group write access?

Tags
owner, permissions, root