Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st August 2009, 12:28 PM
marinestu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Rename Folders in Rhythmbox

Hello, please could one of you answer my question below.

I would like to import folders into my wife's ipod and keep the wav files in the named folders (albums) that she has created.

Here is the steps that I have followed.

1. cp the wav file from the cd to /home/user/Music (using cli)

2. Open Rhythmbox and point it to the directory where the albums are held
edit > preferences > music tab

3. In the Album pain of the main window rhythmbox can see all the wav files from the directory selected in step 1 (/home/user/Music ) but rather then seeing each album ie album1, album2 and so on it only displays 1 album (230) and below that Unknow 230 . Again this is in the Album section of the main page.

4. I can drag the Unknown (230) album to the ipod but it is named Unknown on the ipdod and all of the separate directories that my wife created inside the /home/user/Music containing the wav files are all in one large directory on the ipdod.

I know (now) that I can use the extract option to cp the cd and that works fine but would still like to be able to cp files from the hard drive to the ipod.

Thanks for your help

Stu

Linux user for for 6 years / Solaris Admin for 5. Rhythmbox user for 0 days ;-)
Old 1st August 2009, 01:39 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Normally I use rhythmbox with .mp3 files, which are the .wav files compressed down in size and have an id tag embedded in each file. One such program that can create .mp3 files from an audio cd is "grip". Rhythmbox scans these files for id tags and that is how it gets the artist/album information. That same information is also obtained when you insert a music cd, rhythmbox connects to a cddb database server out on the internet and downloads the album and list of tracks automatically.
So when you skip the step of saving the artist/album information by just having plain old .wav files in a directory structure, it is then not available to the automatic methods that rhythmbox uses.
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:08 AM
marinestu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks JEO

Just what we needed, have yourself a good weekend. (The sun is out her in the uk....can you believe it ;-)

All the best

Stuart

Tags
folders, rename, rhythmbox