Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th August 2009, 05:55 AM
YiDing Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Can ping, but can't resolve in curl, firefox

Hi guys,

I'm having a strange problem with my Fedora 11 install under VMWare Server. I can look up hosts in nslookup, host, and I can ping servers using their names, but when I use curl, firefox, or yum, it says it can't resolve the host name.

Any ideas?
Yi
Old 13th August 2009, 06:11 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
If the guest is a 64 bit guest, then please see the sticky titled something like ping works but nothing else does under Guides and Solutions.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 13th August 2009, 06:50 AM
YiDing Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Hmm... I tried that, and it didn't seem to make any effect. It's a 32-bit guest though, so it might be a different issue.

Thanks!
Old 13th August 2009, 06:52 AM
YiDing Offline

windows_vistafirefox
The other strange thing is that it seems to work fine when I'm on the network in the library, but not on my home network. The host works fine on both.
Old 13th August 2009, 08:06 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
What's the domain name on your home network, you don't use "local" do you ?
Old 13th August 2009, 01:16 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
One thing I've sometimes found with VBox guests--I've never looked into the reason--is that sometimes, when using bridged networking, the network doesn't get it on the first try. Most of my guests are CentOS (at work, usually for testing) and I have restart the network a few times, with service network restart before it's able to reach the outside.

If it's a 32 bit guest, then the post that I mentioned isn't relevant--I only thought of it because the symptoms were similar.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 14th August 2009, 06:51 PM
YiDing Offline

windows_vistasafari
Thanks guys. Does it matter what the domain name on the local network is? I think it's mshome.net. I had the VM on NAT before, but I tried switching it to bridged mode and that didn't help. Do you guys have the original bugzilla entry for the 64-bit bug? Maybe it's a similar issue?

Thanks!

Tags
curl, firefox, ping, resolve