Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th September 2009, 11:54 PM
th350urc3 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora 11, broadband card no longer detected

Hello all - my mobile broadband card was working fine. I thinkg during some of the updates. It was lost. Network Manager , no longer displays it as an available network card. When I try to create a new network connection, the card is not available.

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 413c:8134 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 5720 Sprint Mobile Broadband (EVDO Rev-A) Minicard Status Port

the system sees it and I know it works, because I can use it under windows.

any ideas on how I can get this to work again?
Old 28th September 2009, 12:22 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Try deleting any connection listed in NM. If it is possible to remove the card do that first. Put the card back in and let the system detect it and see if NM can then activate it.

Of course if you can work out which update caused the problem you could reverse it.
Old 29th September 2009, 02:04 AM
th350urc3 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks Bro , I'll try the deleting portion, while removing it physically.

I'll let you know what I find.
Old 29th September 2009, 05:07 AM
th350urc3 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
well this did not work. It appears that after

mobile-broadband-provider-info.noarch : Mobile broadband provider database, was install it no longer works. I am not sure if this package was installed with Fedora 11 or its part of an upgrade. This sucks. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this.
Old 29th September 2009, 05:33 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by th350urc3 View Post
well this did not work. It appears that after

mobile-broadband-provider-info.noarch : Mobile broadband provider database, was install it no longer works. I am not sure if this package was installed with Fedora 11 or its part of an upgrade. This sucks. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this.
I have that package installed but everything is still working. I think that package is simply included as a dependency but isn't actually used yet. It is part of the planned changes in the next version. As it is a database of provider info I don't think it is causing the problem but maybe other changes in the version that introduced it are. You could try replacing NM with an older version. Current version is 0.7.1, 0.7.0 is available at http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat....i386.rpm.html
Old 14th October 2009, 03:26 PM
gymnos.star Offline

windows_vistafirefox
how to get zte ac8700 evdo usb modem get workin on fedora 11.............
Old 14th October 2009, 10:39 PM
ozjd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymnos.star View Post
how to get zte ac8700 evdo usb modem get workin on fedora 11.............
First thing to try is plug it in and see if NetworkManager recognises it. It will configure most modems and you will see an option for Mobile Broadband when you click on the NM icon. If it doesn't connect you may need to set up the number to dial and maybe other options.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:39 PM
barue Offline

windows_vistafirefox
th350urc3:

Did you do any kernel updates and when you boot up you have multiple kernel options available?

If so, have you already tried booting into a previous kernel to see if it works there?

If either of these is true, you may have done a kernel update and have to separately update a kmod your hardware may depend on then re-add/rebuild the module(s).

I know that this is the case for me with ndiswrapper which my wireless card (also dell) depends on.

Code:
su -c "yum install kmod-*dependentmodulename*"
depmod -a
modprobe ndiswrapper
dmesg
Old 1st November 2009, 06:43 PM
th350urc3 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I have not tried that, but its possible. i'll try that. well,

I installed Fedora 12, and my card was detected automatically, I was WHOHOO!! But after I ran an update on fedora 12. My sprint card disappered. I am unsure, whats going on. I will try to update the drivers but damn! this is frustrating.
Old 5th November 2009, 09:30 AM
OainjaQakanj Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Same here. Works fine previosly, but now. nothing. I a, using Novatel Wireless Merlin X950D. Any else?
Old 5th November 2009, 11:18 AM
OainjaQakanj Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Whoa. I have to hit the road in North and need mobile connection instead Stadinet (Helsinki public WIFI network) And plug handset instead express-card, and it shows both what difference previous blank one. it do not seems so bad, though.
Old 5th November 2009, 11:39 AM
David Batson Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
Since the drivers for at least some of these broadband cards is built into the kernel, I would suspect a kernel update as possibly being the culprit. I know the Sierra Wireless driver is built into the kernel.

If you know what driver your card should use, try the command modinfo (i.e. modinfo sierra) to see if the driver is installed.
Old 5th November 2009, 12:51 PM
trigpoint Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
As a 'get around' for your problem of needing mobile broadband and assuming it used to work on Fedora 11, then does it work with a live-cd?

If so, why not create a live-usb and use that for access while you are away.

Not a fix for the problem, but at least you will be able to be on-line.

Tags
broadband, card, detected, fedora, longer