Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th November 2009, 03:29 AM
leftoflexo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
f11 requires root password to mount seperate internal drive, not usb?

hello, i currently have f11 on triple boot with xp dark and puppy linux, i also have a slave drive hooked up that i use as common file storage between them. my problem is that every time i go to mount the second drive it asks for root password; while i can then read the contents fedora wont let me alter or delete them. i dont have this problem with external drives. this problem seems new, i never had it with f10. any suggestions on how to change this so hotplug can automount it on bootup with full permissions?

thanks
Old 9th November 2009, 03:38 AM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
If you want it mounted every time, just put an entry for it in the /etc/fstab file. Hotplug is not exactly designed to
recognize hardware that is always present...
Old 9th November 2009, 04:06 AM
sidebrnz Online

linuxfedorafirefox
One other thing: instead of just using defaults for the mount options, use these:

auto,umask=000

That way you'll avoid any read only issues. Yes, the defaults include r/w, but I've learned from painful experience that this is the only way to be sure. Also, if you make this the last line in /etc/fstab, be sure to hit Enter at the end because mount will complain and refuse to mount it if you don't.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 9th November 2009, 04:15 AM
leftoflexo Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
and this will excuse me from the need to enter a password for the device?

also on the puppy linux distro i use hotplug has configurable options on whether it detects and puts icons for all devices, partitions, and cd drives. it also has xfce and i have it run mount /dev/hdd1 on bootup

Last edited by leftoflexo; 9th November 2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 9th November 2009, 04:31 AM
sidebrnz Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Yes, any device that's listed in fstab with either defaults or auto in the mount options, is mounted at boot along with everything else. In fact, just to make sure you've gotten everything right, run this as root after you've saved your edits:

mount -a

This will remount all filesystems that fstab says should be mounted. If you've done everything right, the drive will be mounted, without needing a reboot. If not, mount will try to tell you what's wrong.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Tags
drive, f11, internal, mount, password, requires, root, seperate, usb