Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th November 2009, 06:27 PM
bungleofsketche Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Wireless on public not allowed

As waht it says above. I can't access public wifi as any browser on every single distro i've tried (15+) won't load just stuck in perpetual loading. No error message or nothing.

Also the browser wouldn't work until i disabled ipv6 in about:config. All browsers do this. is there something i could do to disable it completely so i have a browser choice?
Old 1st December 2009, 03:05 PM
bungleofsketche Offline

windows_7safari
pls someone!

sorry just making sure someone replies...

oh ya i've tried this on 64 bit 32bit and every variation of distro base (debian, open suse etc.)

wifi only works on private networks! is it a security setting?
Old 1st December 2009, 05:13 PM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Have you tried looking in the /var/log/messages file at the time you try to connect to a public wifi for hints as to what is going on?
Old 1st December 2009, 07:05 PM
bungleofsketche Offline

windows_7safari
im a moron

do i just enter that into a file browser or what? and just post any error messages up here?
Old 2nd December 2009, 02:23 AM
JEO Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
You may have to be root to view the file, one way to see it would be to open a terminal window then:

su -
nautilus --browser /var/log &

Or you could open it in a text editor like:

su -
gedit /var/log/messages

Then you could of course find and past relevant lines here (or attach them as a .txt file if long).
Old 2nd December 2009, 02:25 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Does your wireless work at home? Are you sure the trouble is connecting to a public wireless, or could the trouble be with Linux not working with your wireless card?

Also, the silly question, that has gotten people many times--are you sure the wireless card is on? Sometimes, there's a hardware switch and it accidentally turns off the wireless.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon

Tags
allowed, public, wireless