Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd November 2009, 01:47 AM
rambutan Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Additional Firmware Required killed F12

I installed F12. While doing some basic tweaks, nautilus, panel, display etc I got a pop-up: Additional Firmware Required... "to make hardware in this computer function correctly". No more detail than that. Like signing a blank check so I said "go for it". When I rebooted the display was hosed. Like the refresh rate was wrong. So off to xorg.conf to fix it. There is no xorg.conf. After four hours of searching forums and google I gave up and reinstalled (only an hour). This time I made a backup (cp -a) before letting F12 fix the non-existent problem. Tried again very carefully to be sure that what killed the display was the additional firmware. True. That kills my display. Only problem is the backup cp -a when copied back in would boot but would not let me log in!? I could boot "single" change the password, but it said that was already the password.
Oh well, for me F12 is a "one-day-distro". I have multiple partitions with Ubuntu, Mandriva, SuSE, Slitaz ... My first Linux was Fedora Core 4 and I will try the next Fedora release. For now back to Ubuntu 9.04. I'm still testing 9.10.
My graphics is on-board Intel. I think it's 965G chipset. This is a Dell E520N.
How would I tell what not to do that firmware addition?
Where could I tweak the refresh rate to repair the damage done?
Links to instructions/how-to would be great. Thanks.
Old 5th December 2009, 06:23 AM
xynz Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Firmware doesn't reside in your OS

I found your post, because my FC10 installation on an Asus z92t laptop is giving me the same "Additional Firmware Required" message. I'm running an older version of FC, because the laptop is a 2006 model and I want to be sure that the graphics adapter has driver support.

Usually, "firmware update" refers to updating your BIOS. I've been contemplating a BIOS update, because I've been getting the following error message when Fedora begins to load:

"MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to io-apic"

Like all firmware, your BIOS doesn't reside on your HDD, BIOS is embedded in the hardware itself. In the BIOS case, it's written on a flash memory chip that's on the motherboard. If your BIOS was screwed up, then your computer shouldn't work at all, no matter which partition you tried to boot. Re-installation wouldn't help either, because broken firmware is the next worst thing to broken hardware. Without a functioning BIOS, your computer can't access your HDD, your optical drive or your USB ports....it doesn't know how to operate such basic IO, because it needs the bIOs for that.

On the other hand, the BIOS isn't the only firmware that resides on a computer. Optical drives can sometimes have their firmware updated. A few years ago, I deliberately downgraded the firmware on an optical drive, to go from RPC-2 to RPC-1; so it wouldn't be region locked.

From the symptoms you've described, it sounds like you might have updated the video BIOS on the 965 chipset. If that is the case, then you need to make sure you have the proper graphics driver installed for the new firmware.

HTH
Old 5th December 2009, 07:06 AM
reeman Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Question Sounds like xorg.conf got hosed by the new module!

Here is the intel page on activating the new module you just activated sounds like all you have to do edit the xorg.conf which is located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf so if you go in with the su command and just type su nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf you should be there if not then there is something really wrong going on!
Fedora uses superuser for root access from the logged in user for root access, unlike Ubuntu which is a sudo based OS for the root access user unless you create a root password separate from sudo. Either way I use Slackware and prefer the good old days of having a separate root account so it was a lot easier to do things!

If I understand it correctly you are not getting access to /etc/X11/xorg.conf because you are not doing an su command or perhaps you did not set a root password in which case you will need to find out wtf the new Fedora install does with the root password directory at install.

This is why I hate these over done modified forms of the Unix UAC security framework...just like modified C++ coding if it ain't broke ...you can bet someone will break it soon enough!

As you can see I am sending this from windows ...I am just waiting until the new release of Slackware 14 comes out Patrick and his friends are really working on something wonderful for us old school guys and it promises to do everything right and be as sensible and secure as BSD but only on the linux OS that has really great hardware support. It will still have an ncurses install gui and will have all the stuff supported that the 2.6.3 series of kernels does only with greater stability and speed.

Last edited by reeman; 5th December 2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: more info and corrections
Old 5th December 2009, 01:19 PM
rambutan Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Hi xynz,
Thanks for the info. But F12 works until F12 does it's own fix to the drivers. It isn't broken until F12 fixes it. My question is what was it that F12 fixed and broke.
I don't think it's a BIOS issue. I have flashed the BIOS but not recently.

Hi reeman,
Thanks for the link. It gets into compiling and kernel building. I don't want to go there. The issue is not using su to edit xorg.conf. The issue is that xorg.conf does not exist! Editing xorg.conf was the first thing I tried, only it's not there. I think I should create an xorg.conf by copying it from another partition and see if it overrides whatever the x-system is using.

One sad part of the fast evolution of Linux is you learn how to edit xorg.conf and the X-system changes and no longer uses it. It's hard to stay current, it's like we have to run just to stay in place. Grub is doing the same thing with grub2 vs. legacy.
Old 5th December 2009, 08:12 PM
reeman Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambutan View Post
Hi xynz,
Thanks for the info. But F12 works until F12 does it's own fix to the drivers. It isn't broken until F12 fixes it. My question is what was it that F12 fixed and broke.
I don't think it's a BIOS issue. I have flashed the BIOS but not recently.

Hi reeman,
Thanks for the link. It gets into compiling and kernel building. I don't want to go there. The issue is not using su to edit xorg.conf. The issue is that xorg.conf does not exist! Editing xorg.conf was the first thing I tried, only it's not there. I think I should create an xorg.conf by copying it from another partition and see if it overrides whatever the x-system is using.

One sad part of the fast evolution of Linux is you learn how to edit xorg.conf and the X-system changes and no longer uses it. It's hard to stay current, it's like we have to run just to stay in place. Grub is doing the same thing with grub2 vs. legacy.
I think what the error message is all about is activating the OpenGL usage of the Intel driver. Because the xorg driver Fedora uses is all open source it does not include the modules for OpenGL 3D acceleration for the intel 965 that is in reality closed source.

Are you sure that you are getting root access to all your installed directories from the command prompt? There should be at least a linked file to xorg.conf in /etc/X11 ! Try the command...

su nano /etc/x11/xorg.conf

if this does not find out what is going on then I do not know how to fix the configuration file from the command line anymore!

Within the link that I gave you is the really important info about how to correctly edit xorg.conf to get 3D acceleration working with the intel OpenGL 3D module.

You do not have to actually install the module because it sounds like you already did and this is why X is not starting correctly. Do not focus on the kernel recompile stuff.
Old 6th December 2009, 03:42 PM
rambutan Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Quote:
if this does not find out what is going on then I do not know how to fix the configuration file from the command line anymore!
That's part of the fun and challenge of Linux, it keeps changing.

On My PC the following installations have xorg.conf:
Ubuntu 7.04
Ubuntu 8.10
Debian 5.0.3
Mandriva 2010.0

On my PC the following installations do NOT have xorg.conf:
Ubuntu 9.10
Slitaz 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
SuSE 11.2

Fedora 12 did NOT have xorg.conf but I deleted Fedora for another distro that works on my PC.

reeman,
please post the contents of your xorg.conf from Fedora 12.
Old 6th December 2009, 09:00 PM
reeman Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Unhappy sorry! you are quite right no xorg.conf

However it is not that hard to create one and then use the 3D intel module that you just installed. First read this page carefully. Then you can just do su and then init3 to stop any xsessions that might be running and locking init. The command xorg -configure will create the xorg.conf that you can cp to /etc/X11/. Then you can follow the instructions to activate the intel module with full 3D support. I have had to do the same thing with NVidia modules that I know were installed but not seeing a real xorg.conf in UbuntuStudio as the auto install tried the wrong Nvidia driver and borked my xsessions, so I had to remove the Nvidia module that Ubuntu defaulted to and compile the module from the correct Nvidia driver then allow the shell script to create a real xorg.conf before the driver would work at all.

You would think that it would be easy to use the 3D OpenGL software that comes from Intel but the default installs of Fedora and most of the other "free software only" Gnome Linux distro sure do make it a PITA.

A very interesting 686 -386 distro called DreamLinux does a good job of installing the 3D modules for both ATI and Nvidia ...it will easily install the Intel 3D also if I remember correctly.

Free software is all well and good but throwing darts at those who are trying to enhance the usability of Linux seems counter productive! Even if the firmware OpenGL is in reality not open it is better than having to only have software emulation for video. No real GPU support just processor intensive emulation really sucks!

Tags
additional, f12, firmware, killed, required